Feed in relation to egg laying

Jgahugg

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2023
I’ve raised laying hens for a long time and used to buy 16% laying feed at my local farm store. About a year ago I decided to switch to all grain feed and do a custom grind which based on my calculations is also 16% protein. However, I haven’t seen the egg production that I saw with commercial feed. I have had different breeds of birds and know what they were laying with commercial feed, so I think it must be my grind. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak this grind to boost my egg production back to where is show be. Here is my mix 40lbs (15lbs spring forage peas, 2lbs proso millet, 3lbs flax seed, 5lbs corn, 5lbs oats, 3lbs soft gore wheat, 6lbs black oil sunflower seeds, and 1lb alfalfa pellets). Any help would be appreciated

Where did you get this recipe? It's missing a lot of nutrients and I think is lower in protein than thought.
I googled a lot of recipes and just created one that was non soy that I thought worked best, but with what was available. What am I missing?

I googled a lot of recipes and just created one that was non soy that I thought worked best, but with what was available. What am I missing?
You really can't expect meeting the nutritional needs of laying hens by winging it. It takes some time to calculate what you're planning to use and supplement where your diet is deficient, temperature also has effects in a hens consumption of feed (they eat less when it's hot) and this has to be accounted for as well. Crude protein is not the only issue, there are requirements of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. For most people, this is going to be difficult if they want to provide a diet that delivers optimum output, therefore easier to purchase commercial feed. In general, commercial feed is calculated based on 100g/day of feed per hen. My feed is based on a much higher metabolizable energy level of 3200kcal/kg because of their energy needs.

laying1.gif

Last edited:
You really can't expect meeting the nutritional needs of laying hens by winging it. It takes some time to calculate what you're planning to use and supplement where your diet is deficient, temperature also has effects in a hens consumption of feed (they eat less when it's hot) and this has to be accounted for as well. Crude protein is not the only issue, there are requirements of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. For most people, this is going to be difficult if they want to provide a diet that delivers optimum output, therefore easier to purchase commercial feed. In general, commercial feed is calculated based on 100g/day of feed per hen. My feed is based on a much higher metabolizable energy level of 3200kcal/kg because of their energy needs.

View attachment 3608123
Commercial feed in my area is soy based. I am not looking for this for my family. What I’m seeking is a formula that is working for people that is a healthier alternative for my birds and my family. There are so many stressors that affect egg production, but I am trying to concentrate on feed/nutrition. I know people have had success without the extreme drop in production that I have seen

Commercial feed in my area is soy based. I am not looking for this for my family. What I’m seeking is a formula that is working for people that is a healthier alternative for my birds and my family. There are so many stressors that affect egg production, but I am trying to concentrate on feed/nutrition. I know people have had success without the extreme drop in production that I have seen
I don't have a formula that would be useful to other people as most of what I use is local wild harvested in Alaska, so I can't help you there. My recommendation for a quick fix (this won't fix your food) to supply the nutrients a hen needs is to buy spirulina (I buy in bulk quantity) and add 10g per liter of water to their drinking water.

You could use field peas instead of soy with your mix, barly and wheat. Add germ oil, brewer's yeast and calcium to your mix. (Grated) carrots and apples for vitamins, fructose etc. They would need some real salt, magnesium, potassium etc. as well as vitamin D3 + K in winter.

Dried oregano and thyme as well as is helps to prevent infections of the respiratory and intestinal tract.

In times of stress, moult or high laying activity they would need animal protein in form of minced meat, dairy products or boiled/scrambled eggs as well twice a week.

In winter with long episodes of cold they nerd more carbohydrates in the evening to keep them warm at night: potatoes and corn on top of their usual feed.

As you can see, it becomes quite cumbersome to create your own chicken feed which if course will need to be adapted to their respective age and the time of the year.

If kept in close quarters without at least 6 hours of free ranging time, they would need even more as they would be unable to provide for themselves

Unfortunately, I dont have my speeadsheet right now, I'm at work. Where are you located? There are soy free feeds available that can be shipped to your local feed store or sometimes walmart. .
You are missing a more complete source of protein, usually from fish meal, swine blood meal, by product (tripe) meal. Etc or amino acids. I thunk it may be a bit high in fat.
To make a decent homemade feed, it costs about $5 a pound, for soy free, about $8 a lb. it's going to be much cheaper and easier to source a soy free bagged feed, if possible

Back
Top Bottom