Feed inside coop or not??

welcome-byc.gif

I run deep litter in coop and run , with dirt floors . Mess is no problem and some dampness brings worms in the litter , and hens learn quick . In summer I wet the litter when it dries , to help in the composting . The food and water is inside the coop .OH I've seen chicken swallow a mouse whole , so rodents are no problem .

When we built our coop we wanted to make sure there was room to put their food inside during the winter and if we need to lock them up in the coop for a day or so. I had it hanging under the coop off the ground and covered by rain. We came home to a mouse eating the food, PLUS the chickens were scratching where the food would fall and kinda made a hole. So I moved it inside this last week and kept the water outside. Hope this helps!

I use the kiss method and tell myself to KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Maintenance has always been my main concern and I ask myself how much work will have to be done. Having feed inside or outside the coop "does" matter. The type of weather you have where you live will dictate that. If its pouring down rain for 3 days in the summer, everything gets moved inside. If you have snow and freezing temperature outside, everything gets moved inside. Birds are messy and they dont wear a bib when they eat or drink. You will find out that chicken feed gets scattered all over the place wether or not it is inside or out. I like to keep both feed and water outside in the summer when possible. Its just easier to clean up the run area than the coop. Your run area is where they will spend the most time during the day scratching, except to lay eggs when nesting. In the winter time its a little different. Water freezes and you can get a heated dog watering bowl of good size if you have electric and keep water inside the coop. Water may have to be changed out a couple times a day if it freezes without a heat source. You wont find your chickens outside the coop much on cold winter days and feed will have to be kept inside. Hang both your water and feed off the ground if you can and make it easy cleanup and simple!

Our feeders and waterers are inside the coop. During the summer I put another waterer outside where they free range. I honestly never thought of feeding outside, I live in Washington and it rains more than anything else. Also we have lots of wild birds that would probably eat the feed...

We have a feed hopper that holds 250lbs inside the coop. The water is either a 50gal. pasture waterer outside in the summer, or we use two heated waterers inside the coop in the winter. I *hate* having to water inside the coop. Such a mess! And wet shavings means a buildup of gasses that can harm the birds.

As someone else said, though--you can't be lazy in the mornings if the birds haven't had access to water all night. You have to get up and outside first thing in the morning to give them access to water.

Ok, I'm confused. I am new to this chicken endeavor and really excited about it. I am the type that really reaches and studies a project before I commit. We are nearly finished with the coop and run, just finishing placement of nest, roost, etc inside of the coop. I have read conflicting info about keeping feed and water inside the coop. One place said never keep it inside, it helps keep everything cleaner, then yesterday on one of the forum feeds here, it said have feed and water inside the coop. HELP, what do I do? Need all the advise I can get. I know there needs to be food and water outside in the run, just confused about inside. Thanks for any help

Hey, Check out a "coop video" by rhoffart from 5/8/13. His watering system is great, and no mess. Also has a PVC piping system for food. This is going to be a great "no mess" system for my coop. Already bought the water cups off ebay, and took notes on system. Hope it gives you some options. Then you can feed and water anywhere.. Lynn Marie

Water in water out - Feed in feed out
Cups or nipples?
Horizontal Nipples or vertical?
No need for anyone to be confused in the end it is what works best for you. These are all opinion and reflect what has worked for each one of us. If it sounds like a good idea try it if not don't. There are lots of good, no great ideas on BYC. Not all great ideas will work great for everyone.
For those old enough to remember the Vegomatic. A great idea for some not so good for others. LOL

Back
Top Bottom