feed inside or in run?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenchok, Oct 10, 2008.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hello. We're designing our coop and were wondering if the food and water need to be inside where the hens roost at night or can it be outside in a covered run that they can access all day?
    Thanks!

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Definitely put it inside. It can be moved outside but its a good idea to have it inside especially on those rainy days

3. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:I have food and water in both places.

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Since your run is covered I'd keep your food and water hanging outside in the warm season,then bring your water inside during winter.I leave their food outside in winter to make sure they get outside in the fresh air and free up space in the coop.That's just what I do.I use an electric fount heater under the waterer inside.
    Will

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I personally have mine hanging in the coop. When I put my little girls in with my big girls, I will put a feeder and waterer in my covered run.

[​IMG]

6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I have water in both palces and the feed is outside under my covered run. I had it in the house but it is in a big feeder that holds 100 lbs and the feeder is large and by taking it out, it had another four feet so we know what that means. LOL

Edited to add: Cmom, love your coop!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by