Feed inside the coop or outside?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sawilliams, Nov 17, 2015.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    thanks

But my question was about whether most people keep thier feed inside or outside the coop

1 person likes this.
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I understand what your original question was. But since you are fairly new to owning chickens, I thought I would take the time to explain why your choice of feeds were somewhat inappropriate for your flock. Good nutrition is an important part of raising a healthy and productive flock.
    What you are feeding is more important than where you set the feeders.

3. dannyleeder

dannyleeder New Egg

Nov 4, 2015
    I am terrified now reading this post as I was advised to feed my bantams layers after 20 weeks old or so whichiI did but I'm also aware they may not lay again until spring. I have two plastic waterers and found they need less maintenance when kept inside as when kept outside they turn green quickly.

4. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal

I've found many opinions on layer feed some stay it at 18-20 weeks others wait to 6 months and still other wait till first egg or full egg production. So honestly I think that's more a matter of preference. And I honestly doubt if nearly every brand of layer says after 18 weeks it would be that huge of an issue. If it were it would also state not to feed before the hens produce eggs. I think some people just get so set in thier ways that they think anyone who doesn't follow them exactly is wrong.

I keep water in both places I have to fill both every 2-3 days anyways but I'm sure at least the outside water will start to green eventually. Especially once summer hits. It gets really hot here in the summer so I wanted to be sure ahead of time we were ready for that

1 person likes this.
  5. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    This is not my opinion for feeding layer feed. This is a quote from Nutrena poultry feeds
    Is it OK to feed layer feed to chicks?
    Layer feed is not properly balanced for chicks, as it will contain too much calcium. While one or two feedings should not cause a problem, a continuous diet of layer feed to chicks is NOT balanced for proper growth, and chicks may also experience kidney damage.

6. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal

omg get off me. I've already stated the 2 that are 10 weeks can't reach the layer. Get over your self. I'm sorry I even bothered to mention anything. I'm not stupid I've don't my research. I didn't just decide one day to go get chickens this has been years of planning that just feel together at an unexpected time. So get off you high horse. If my chickens all die becuase I screwed up well that's on me. But if it makes you feel better I'll keep you in the back of my mind and be sure to send you a message when it does happen just so you can say "I told you so".

And for when to start layer for a laying aged chicken, weather before or after the first egg, really does come down to preferance.

If your worried my little 10w pullets will get to the layer soon, yes I had already taken that into consideration and have a plan in motion but not that you care anyways.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    2 people like this.
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Peeps are a-peeping Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I keep my feed inside the coop to keep it dry and to try to keep the wild birds and other critters from eating too much, for smaller coops there are some nice PVC feeders that can be made.

2 people like this.
  8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We have feed inside. Don't want the mice getting in it at night.

1 person likes this.
  9. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015

I'm just making my girls some oatmeal for the morning. Our weather is crazy unpredictable and we haven't had a really cold morning until now. So, I thought I'd get a little more precise if you want to give your girls oatmeal. My two handfuls equaled out to a heaping 2/3 cup of oatmeal. And cooked it in the microwave for 1:15. This time I added in some fruit since I had some for my kids last night to go with dinner and they didn't eat it all.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I keep feed and water outside of coop. It matches my management of opening the coop door every morning and not locking chickens in coop during cold weather. The use of tarps for corner or sides of prevailing wind makes for the wind shield to protect birds. It's virtually same temp as in the coop and they prefer to be outside unless there is snow on ground in which case you need to shovel it and put a thin layer of hay down or they don't want to walk on it. You can make a small stand and hang the feed under it, I always have coops on stilts so feed and water are under coop. Feed should be brought inside each night to deter attracting larger animals and rodents from feeding unchecked.

A system of rodent control should be in place in the beginning of raising birds. Rodent populations will get out of control and that's no fun. Systems for drowning rodents or snap traps in protective container work well enough if started in the beginning. Otherwise chunx bait in tamper proof boxes is really the best way to eradicate them. Never use poison pellets, they get strewn about as the rodents drop them going back to nests. Chunx has to be chewed off so it fits in cheeks, brought back to nest where kits and adults die there.

This is the bait and locked bait box (tamper proof) I'm talking about. I have one of these in corner of run at all times unless chicks are in there. Image is copied from google images.

[​IMG]

DiannaDi likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by