Feed inside the coop or outside?

Poison for us is the last choice. I wouldn't start there either if you have problems. Being raised off the ground should deter rats. Don't put anything around the base in winter until the ground freezes, if you're in that type of climate.

I see you are in Ohio. In winter, raised coops can have cold floors so some people like to put hay, straw or bags of leaves around the base for insulation. If you do something like that you need to wait until the ground freezes so you aren't making a nice home for rodents. Usually by the time the ground freezes all rodents have picked a home and don't usually move to a different spot, so it's safe to put stuff around the coop.

Ohh ok, I see. Sorry about that. I don't know if we'll be doing that or not. I'm unsure of how to handle things come winter. Like, will I need heat in the coop? But yes, thank you for that advice.

Where we built the coop there is a good bit of slope, so one end is a lot higher off the ground than the other. One side is only about 8-10 inches with the other end being about 3-3.5 feet. Not the most ideal set up, but I wanted it relatively close to the house... and that's what we had to work with. :) That being said, bales of straw might be a good idea around the outside perimeter.. not only to keep cold winds from blowing under the coop, but also blocking wind for when the chickens hang out underneath it in the winter. It'll be open on one side, inside the run, so they can get under it.

I have never used extra heat in the winter, I prefer to let my birds acclimate and as you said block the winds. Chickens are quite cold hardy, though many provide extra heat, most I think do it out of guilt that they have a heated house so their chickens need one too. Chickens are blessed with a thick down coat of feathers. They suffer more in the heat.

Hello. I am wondering about lacto fermenting feed. Second batch and it went bad. I have at least 2 inches of water over thevtop. Stirring it 3 times a day at least. Ends up smelling like alcohol and is fizzy. :/ I have been using regular layer feed mixed with some scratch. Is the scratch causing the problem or am I doing something else wrong?

Ok, so no heat at all? Like not even a heat lamp? My bf is convinced they need one. I'd rather not if we don't have to.
I'm in Wisconsin and never use one. Heat lamps are fire hazards. I can't decide for you, but I've never had a chicken freeze to death, we get pretty cold here. I also just carry out warm water twice a day. I'd rather not worry.

Yes, I've been told heat lamps are fire hazards. I am hoping I can make my bf realize they don't need heat. I'm sure it will be a lot warmer inside the coop anyway... with body heat from them and the bedding etc...

I know you can't decide for me.. I hope you don't feel like I was trying to argue with you. :/

Certainly not, I should use more smiley faces, sometimes I write like Tarzan and it comes off wrong.

I guess I was referring to the whole heat or no heat debate that goes on here. I keep frizzles, and I've kept silkies, and it has been down in the -20's with -40 wind chills. My one shed is an uninsulated pole shed, my bantam are somewhat insulated, so I've seen many winters without heat.

I don't think poultry need extra heat and it messes them up, they actually suffer more because they can't handle winter temperatures.

It's best to block the wind, have south facing windows for sunlight, warm water, and scratch to beef up the fat content. I also use hay to give mine something to occupy their time.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom