Feed is getting expensive, any cheaper way? Please

bazi77

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 25, 2010
Douglasville, GA
I been buying feed from local store and it costs me about $27 each time and usually I buy it twice in a month. Its 1 bag of pallets and 1 bag of 5 way. Just curious if there is any cheaper way of getting this feed?

Here in Ohio, I buy from a place called "Country Farm and Garden". I get my layer feed for $11.00 a 50 lb bag, and then cracked corn was $10.00 for a 50 lb bag. That is much cheaper than the Purina Flock Raiser I was buying, which was $16.99 a bag!

Do you have a local mill that you can buy from? They are usually cheaper.

Thank you for replying, I do buy the feed from local feed store but I dont think we have any mill around this area. Now I do feed them all the left overs including spicy foods :)

I assume the 5-way to be a scratch of 5 grains. I also assume you get 3 or 4 times longer out of that bag than the layer? In other words, the 5 way is only 10-20 percent of their total diet?

You didn't say what your layer cost was, but I'd guess $15 a 50# bag? If so, that is rich. I am currently paying $19.50 for 100# bag of Hubbard Layer, ground at a local feed mill. That is $9.75 for a 50#.

Keep searching for an actual mill, and elevator, or feed station that actually grinds it's own feed. You are paying 50% higher prices. It takes some doing to find a mill, and sometimes it may be 40 miles away, but when life takes you in that direction, you stock up. Obviously, it doesn't pay to travel far only for the feed purchase.

Expensive alright, Im paying $32.00 for a 25 kg of laying pellets, wouldnt mind so much if I was just feeding my 3 plus chicks but with neighbours 8 chooks and a duck coming over it adds up:/

$12.95 for laying pellets, $12.00 for scratch, $11.00 for cracked peas, & watching my 117 birds gobble it up,...... priceless!
wink.png

You could always contact your local grocery store or restaurants to see if they have any "bad" produce or fruit/veggie scraps they'd be willing to give you or sell on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom