Feed keeps getting stuck

lindseyawest

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
I have a typical feeder for my small flock. My girls will only eat crumble (much to my chagrin after a few attempts to switch to pellets) and it seems like dust just keeps building up to where the food gets stuck and won't empty into the tray. Even if I've just cleaned the feeder, it seems like I'm having to constantly shake it to get the feed down.

My current feeder looks like this:

Is there a better way/feeder? Would making a PVC feeder with an upright pipe and two 45 degree elbows be sufficient - or would I have the same problem with dust build up and feed getting stuck?

**Edited to add: The PVC feeder I was thinking of making is similar to the top one in the picture below. I am also open to other ideas, too.

Last edited:
One thing to consider is does the feeder have the option to adjust the height between the base tray and the hopper? Some have multiple holes punched in the side and you can pop the little "legs" in to different ones to make the hopper stand closer or farther from the tray - which is helpful in allowing better feed flow depending on the type/size of feed in use.
That being said -- the "no waste" type of feeders (the kind with the tubes going into a bucket or tub) are the best way to avoid this issue as the birds are eating out of the bottom of the container through those tubes so as long as there is feed in the feeder they have clear easy access to it since gravity dictates the feed would be right where the birds are accessing the feeder.

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure there's no adjusting my current feeder.

Going off the couple images I've seen of the bucket option you're describing, don't you end up getting like an inch or so of feed on the bottom that never gets eaten because it's below the entrance of the tubes?

I bought the yellow plastic feeders from premier1supplies.com, and love them! Nothing gets dumped out, unlike the metal feeders like you have. And they are very inexpensive. I don't like to build stuff, so ready made works better for me. mARY

Back
Top Bottom