Feed Management Methods [Poll]

How do you keep your Flock???

• Total voters
Per this poll, most people keep their chickens in a coop & run (32.5%). Hence why that was the only advice I received.
I think people with tractors would be voting "My flock is kept in a secure house and run substantially all day, every day" with the understanding that the tractor is their secure 'house and run.'

I'm now understanding why I didn't have much luck asking for help about chicken tractors here, since it seems this is pretty biased towards coops.
Odd, I thought you got good advice about chicken tractors, and you set forth very good reasons why a tractor is best suited to your needs, in spite of the massive acreage you have available and the very small flock you wanted to keep. an 8x8 or perhaps 8x12 hoop coop style chicken tractor with a good heavy base so you can move it with your tractor across your 10-13 acres seems just the thing. Relatively inexpensive, no need for a floor, plenty of ventilation in your hot moist climate.

Or you could go with a smaller coop and use some solar powered electric fencing as the "run" to keep the weight down further, while providing greater run area (and less frequent need to move it). As some pointed out, that's less predator protection (and functionally no aerial protection - and as you observed, its expensive. One of the reasons I don't use electric poultry netting.

Are mobile tractors suitable for most BYCers? Based on the answers ths far - nope. But that in no way means they arent the best answer for you. We just have different circumstances, and different needs, so many of us have selected different management methods.

1/3 acre back yard??? That's a rarity. We had an apartment, then a house on 1/5th acre., then an apartment, then a house on one acre, and now we have 30. But zoning usually puts houses on 1/4, 1/5th, 1/8th, with the majority being back yard (well, not on 1/8th acre lots, those are "zero lot line". 1/3 acre back yard, so you have 1/2 acre total???
The last house we sold had a .29 acre lot. Our current house has 10.1 acres. The zoning where we live is based on density, not lot size. You could have a subdivision zoned for 5 acre density, but the lots themselves could be 1/2 acre with 4.5 acres of common space. So, odd-sized lots is not uncommon!

Back
Top Bottom