Feed mix for peafowl

thanks for the information, we to feed bread and it is broken up into small pieces so we will make sure the other goodies are also small pieces. We do feed pumpkins and usually just cut them in half and put out a half. What kind of fruit besides apples and oranges does your peafowl like? Will be trying some carrots tomorrow along with some sweet potato mashed up(chickens seemed to like it).

Berries are a big hit.
Blueberries, blackberries are our peafowl's favorites. They also go after strawberries and raspberries.
Watermelon, honeydews are eaten down to the rind. Tomatoes, plums and cherries are popular.
They love grapes, ours prefer the red, purple.
Apricots and peaches are eaten up, but not devoured on the spot like the other fruits.

I'm new to Peafowl and curious about the diet in the post from Farmerboy 16. In front of the oats, corn, wheat, etc. there is a number. Is this the percentage of the diet or measures of each item in the diet?

I have 1 male and 2 females and I think I have them spoiled rotten. I just want to make sure that my diet that I'm giving them is up to par.

Thanks!!!!

I'm new to Peafowl and curious about the diet in the post from Farmerboy 16. In front of the oats, corn, wheat, etc. there is a number. Is this the percentage of the diet or measures of each item in the diet?

I have 1 male and 2 females and I think I have them spoiled rotten. I just want to make sure that my diet that I'm giving them is up to par.

Thanks!!!!

The numbers he posted in front of each ingredient is pounds of each for a recipe to make up 1000 pounds of feed. My coop will only make two tons minimum so I would have to multiply his formula by 4.

Generally you want a ffeed that has 20% protein at the bare minimum with 24-25% being preferable. Do not feed them scratch grain or whole corn as a staple because the former is extremely nutrient poor and the latter is very fattening. Whole corn can be good in winter to help the birds stay warmer but other than that it's not a major requirement. Another thing you don't want to give them as a staple is layer ration for chickens. The calcium levels in it are way to high for peas and it damages their kidneys. While it's not going to hurt them right away it does damage them over time. Lettuce is one food they really like but I'd try to feed romaine instead of iceberg since iceberg is just empty calories. Catfood is a great favorite of mine and it does make a noticeable difference in color and health. Roasted mealworms are another good treat.

Thanks!!!!
Welcome to BYC! I love your avatar picture.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom