Feed mix for peafowl

Farmerboy16

Rebuilding my Farm
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Sparta, MI
Hi, I have 7 peafowl that were hatch this summer, and they are on turkey grower. I am wondering when I will have to start giving them adult feed? A turkey breeder gave me this feed formula for breeder turkeys, and I am wondering will this formula be good for peafowl too?

220 oats, 200 corn, 175 mill run wheat, 100 barley, 100 fish meal,
100 alfalfa meal, 50 corn gluten meal, 25 flax meal, 20 Diatomacious earth(food grade), 20 oyster shell flour,
10 brewers yeast, 10 salt, 5 kelp meal.

This layer feed is about 18.9% protein

Also, I am wondering how much does peafowl eat in a day? And how old are they when they are fully grown?

Thanks for any input.
smile.png

Generally, most people want a feed that has a protein of 20%. That diet looks to have all that will keep in good condition. Some may give a little more protein. Your diet looks like you know exactly what is going in it. I wouldnt have a problem giving that mix to my birds.... I dont think you should worry with it. BTW, it has some good stuff in it!
I would try to give a bit of variety when i can, like fresh veggies, and they always like peanuts, for treats, if you are looking to get them used to being around you. Treats will make them look forward to seeing you!!!!

Yep now when my peahen Ice sees me even holding the peanut bottle she runs up to me to get her peanuts. They eat the unshelled unsalted peanuts. We give ours lettuce every now and then along with some wheat bread. They also eat leftovers too like old fruit and leftover rice, spaghetti. They like chopped up broccoli but they don't like carrots at all. Sometimes I try to feed them corn but they never really eat the corn. They are big on sunflower seeds though. We give them sunflower seeds every day but you don't have to give it to them as much as we do.

I leave mine on medicate chick starter and as they get older I will add pellets to it but they usually stop eating the starter when they venture outside into the pen on their own and they try eating what everyone else is eating. My adults get nothing but layer feed and bread from me and whatever they catch or grass they eat on their own during breeding season.

about 2 years old is when they are mature if that is what you mean?

In the winter months with the feed I give my birds 2 cans of no salt mixed veggies and whole corn per day. Yes Minx it has carrots in it and mine gobble it down, give it a try
wink.png
also bread for fiber, blueberries, grapes peanuts and some leftovers.

Thank you for all the help.
smile.png

Yoda Yes, that is what I meant, but when is the question is when I have to give them adult feed.

Right now my peas are in this coop-

74819_2038871457899_orig.jpeg

Once in a while I would give them a apple, some hand shelled corn. When I get their 20x20 coop done, and move them in there, I will give them some table straps when I am feeding the chickens too.

Quote:
Mine act weird around carrots. They stare at them but don't eat them cooked or not. Sometimes I wonder if the don't like them because they are orange or something. Mine rarely eat oranges or grapefruit, but sometimes they eat it. There is always one bird that really loves fruit but one that doesn't really like fruit.

so when feeding fruits and veggies what size should the pieces be? also what size should the peanuts be for the peafowl? We have 2 peachicks 6 months old and want to make sure they don't have problems when eating this.

I chop my oranges to small bits so there is no choking, & also apples and other veggies that I have, that have a firm texture. I let them pick on stuff like pumpkin and squash. I buy unsalted roasted peanuts at Family Dollar that comes in a plastic jar for $2.15. They are mosty single peanut halves, so I would use that size as a reference. I also provide cat food that I do not crush, so that is another size morsel for reference. I cut bread into pieces that are about the size I have mentioned, because if they are too big, there is some gagging to get the pieces to go down. Use common sense and you should be OK. The peas are not parrots, which I do give my parrots whole peanuts in the shell, but a hookbill can manipulate and crack them open. Parrots will also shell sunflower seeds & peanuts, whereas chickens and peas eat them whole.
I think a pea is close to full size by the time they reach a year in age, and they could eat a chick feed mixed with an adult layer feed, as long as they get at least a 20% protein feed.
Good Luck to ya.......

Back
Top Bottom