feed mix ratio for correct protein

n2everythg

Hatching
May 17, 2016
Been lurking and learning on this site for some time now. Wanted to say thanks to all for the knowledge gained.

I hatched out 17 (out of 24) Japanese quail almost 3 weeks ago. first time incubating in a home made forced air cooler. it was a fun experiment. currently have 10 female and 5 male and 2 white unknown.

started a second batch of eggs last thrs.

All are healthy and fat. I got a small game bird starter and a small bag of ultra kibble from tractor supply that is now at the end.
I have been fermenting the mix and feeding 3-4 times/ day approx 1 cup of the ferment each feeding. They seem to be growing well and happy. most are approx 4.5 oz at this point.

goal is healthy meat and eggs. I am going to run a number of the biggest and best under my meat rabbit cages.

but with the end of the starter diet its time to figure out what to feed.
I suspect due to the effort involved I will free feed dry mix in a home built hopper and once a day or so provide fermented feed and supplement with worms, greens etc. the area under the rabbit cages is full of worms also so I suspect they will find a number of those.

So on to my question. I am trying to determine if my rational on mix ratio is sound and wanted a second opinion.

I purchased a bag of Organic chicken starter crumbles from the local mill - 16% protein. Cost about 30$
They also sell #3 trout pellets that are 50% protein and primarily fish meal. - about 1.50$/lb.

so I figure a 2:1 ratio of feed to fish pellets will get me approx 28% protein. Am I thinking correct?
That would also equate to about a dollar a pound.

again thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

thanks for that link.
but if I am using it correct. if I shoot for 24% protein ( put that in center) and put my percentages in the right 2 boxes (16 and 50) it spits out that I need a 3:1 ratio.

like this:
The ratio of to is 3.25:1.

This mix contains 76.47% and 23.53%

how did you figure 1:1? or 50/50% mix?

logically to me a 50/50 mix would = 33% 16% X 50% / 2

Am I calculating wrong?

Last edited:
No you're right. I started thinking about it after I posted and entered other values in the ap and they all came back 1:1. I used to use it all the time, this is the first time it screwed up.

Entering your values in the left corners. 16 and 50.
Do you want 24 or 28%?

thanks again for the help.

really dont know what they would thrive on best (24 or 28) just have read they need at least 24 while growing. I think I have also read that after they stop growing less is ok. and I have no idea how much they will forage on their own or be supplemented as I toss in worms and treats.

Im new at all this.
end game I want healthy big birds that arent too fat.. ;)... but just fat enough.
its going to take some tinkering I suppose.

think I will start off with an approx 2:1 like you suggested and see how they fare.
so far I can almost sit there and watch them grow. its been fun and entertaining.

regarding the fish food size...
the fish food is #3 trout pellets. and they are really small. think 1/4-1/3 the size of a grain of dried rice. if I had to guess on measurement I would say about 1/16" in diameter prob smaller.
I dont think I will need to grind them.
I started trial feeding today with them and sprinkled over the top of the fermented mash and they gobbled them up.
thought I would start the transition to new few gradually so they can adjust their systems.

thanks again.

IMHO, about 28% is good up to about 3 weeks and then 24% for a couple weeks and cut back to 18%. Breeders should have 18-20% during breeding season but adults out of production can get by on about 12-14%. Purina's game bird maintenance feed is 12.5%. I use that to feed mature roosters of the chicken persuasion.
Baby quail eat primarily insects and adults primarily seeds.

I was thinking of the trout and catfish pellets we used to feed and they were much bigger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom