Feed Mix

mlanyi4

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2024
Wilmington, NC
Our flock of 6 has been getting Purina Organic Starter/Grower from TSC since we brought them home.
They are around 3 weeks old and have been moved outside. It is ok to add this Free Range Blend scattered across the run with grit added while still having the Purina in their chicken feeder? They also get accompanied free range for a few hours a day, we have hawks in our area so they can’t ever be unaccompanied.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5594.png
    IMG_5594.png
    597.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5593.png
    IMG_5593.png
    825.6 KB · Views: 5
Our flock of 6 has been getting Purina Organic Starter/Grower from TSC since we brought them home.
They are around 3 weeks old and have been moved outside. It is ok to add this Free Range Blend scattered across the run with grit added while still having the Purina in their chicken feeder? They also get accompanied free range for a few hours a day, we have hawks in our area so they can’t ever be unaccompanied.
Thanks

A picture of the nutrition panel on that "Free Range Blend" would help.
I tracked it down here:
https://orderpeckingorder.com/products/pecking-order-free-range-blend-with-boonworms

The chick starter is 18% protein (found that on TSC's website). That is the low end of what is acceptable for chicks.

That treat blend is only 12% protein. Of course it has plenty of calories. Eating that will mean your chicks eat less chick starter. That will hurt them nutritionally, not help them. I'll bet it costs more per pound than the chick starter, too.

I notice the manufactuerer's website describes it as being for hens, and includes the warning "Treats should not exceed 10% of a laying hen’s diet."

Personally, I would skip the treat blend, at least until they are grown up (I would skip it even after they are grown up, but that's not the question you are asking right now.)

Is there anything else I should be adding to the mix as well? Thanks!
I would let them eat whatever they can find while free ranging, but other than that I would let them just eat the chick starter, rather than trying to add things.

If you want to feel that you are giving them a treat, put some chick starter in a dish and add water: chickens usually love that, and it still has all the nutrients they need. Once they have it a few times, they will probably come running when they see the dish, which is a great way to lure them back into the run when free ranging is over for the day.

As regards other treats and extras, I would wait until they are older, and I would be more inclined to give them things like vegetable trimmings from your kitchen rather than buying packaged mixes like that. A compost pile is a great playground for chickens, complete with live wiggly worms instead of dried ones in a bag. Putting all compostable things in their run is a way of making a compost pile they can always play in (although they usually spread it around instead of leaving it in a pile.)

Back
Top Bottom