Feed Mix

SteeleFaithFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Union, Illinois
I have a free range flock of 27 birds. 3 hens are at least a year old and the other 24 young pullets that are 6 weeks old. I have been keeping them on layer but recently I tried a mix or 1/2 rabbit pellets (17%) 1/4 cracked corn 1/4 steam rolled oats. It all goes into a 30 pound hanging feeder. They seem to be eating it up pretty well and they all seem healthy. I am not doing this to save money (I'm not rich) I just know that the rabbit pellets are mostly grasses and roughage where as layer feed even though I can read the ingredients just doesn't look healthy. Does anyone have any suggestions for a feed mix? I've heard flax seed increases the omega 3's in the eggs. Anyway, I look forward to all your ideas and suggestions in the meantime I will let you know how "Brad's Mix" is working.

Brad

If the chickens aren't in their coop all the time they'll forage their own grasses. As for what they need or what's good for 'em check BYCs treat chart and also: protein, carbs, fats, and calcium are imporatant. I make my own feed but I have heard bits of cat food are okay(But that most other animal feeds are bad)

I wouldn't feed that much Rabbit Pellets, Rabbit Pellets has a good bit of salt in it.

Is this mix the only thing there eating or is this more as a treat?

Chris

This is the only mix they are getting. They have been on it for about5 days. I was going to put in another having feeder with just layer ration offering a semi-cafeteria style ration.

Brad

I wouldn't give them the rabbit feed if it has more than 0.2% Chickens should never have more than that amount in their diet

More than .2% salt? Oddly enough the rabbit feed has between .1 and .5 where as the layer is between .2 and .7 percent. The chick starter was even higher between.32 and .82 percent.

The main ingredients in the rabbit pellets are plant and footage based where the chicken feed is a combo of grain and animal byproducts which never sounds good. I dint want to feed my chickens chickens.

More than .2% salt? Oddly enough the rabbit feed has between .1 and .5 where as the layer is between .2 and .7 percent. The chick starter was even higher between.32 and .82 percent.
The main ingredients in the rabbit pellets are plant and footage based where the chicken feed is a combo of grain and animal byproducts which never sounds good. I dint want to feed my chickens chickens.
Rabbits are Herbivores where chickens are Omnivores, Chicken are grain and meat eaters and should have both in there diet (the reason for grain and animal byproducts) You would be far better off getting a bag of Chicken feed and then mixing your corn a rolled oats to that.
The mix your mixing now it only around 13% protein and is not a balanced feed for poultry.

Chris

I appreciate all this information, I figured you would be the ones to ask. I just figured there was a time period when there were chickens but not chicken feed. They had to eat something. My chickens eat plenty of bugs and worms when the are running loose. The eggs from organic cage free vegetarian fed hens seem to be of decent quality for not getting undisclosed animal by products. But, I am going to look for a layer and meat bird feed that is a little most specific on what animal byproducts they put in there. I am well aware of their omnivorous nature I just don't want it to be cannibalistic. I'd hate to find out that it caused "Mad Poultry Disease" like it did in cattle.

Thank you for your valuable advice,
Brad

Despite the gross and disturbing-ness of it chickens are (or rather can be) cannibals and actuall cooked chicken is good for them. I also don't love the whole possibility of my chickens eating chickens and that's why I make my own feed. If you want you could try and find a feed sans animal by-products(it shouldn't be to hard, but most likely expensive) and supplement it with meat you feel more comfortable with or just more protein form other things.

Back
Top Bottom