1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feed mixture for my layers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jarysjoy, Nov 12, 2011.

1. jarysjoy

jarysjoy New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    I have a endless supply of fresh shell corn,soybeans,and i would like a good rate or percent of each i should mix or grind up for them .I buy a pelleted feed from purina called layena also .I want to mix all three together in a good mixture.any ideas? I also give them a calcium supplement too.I just mix about 50% cracked corn,25% cracked soybeans,and 25% purina pellets right now and they seem ok but I also was wondering about do i full feed them through the winter or limit them and if so how much per day.thanks. Also I was wondering if anyone had a cheap idea for a water heater system i live in iowa and it gets cold.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say, that's too much corn. Reduce the corn to about 15%(Perhaps 20% in winter) with more layena and oyster shell and you'll do great.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most feed mills provide and sell a package to be added to your mix of corn and soybeans to make a complete formula and even give you the recipe of ratios that allow you make a layer complete feed. Hubbard Feed for example:

http://www.hubbardlife.com/poultry/chick-en-egg.aspx

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:If I had "an endless" access to corn, I'd not bother buying Purina Layena. It is so expensive. You have the main ingredient, corn. You simply need the vitamin, amino acid, mineral pack from a feed mill, as stated above. Very jealous!!!![​IMG]

As for inexpensive waterers, the light bulb in a cookie tin works for a lot of folks here. You can search endless threads on that by searching, using the specialized google search bar, upper right. It searches here, within BYC only.

I personally just use a couple of the large, heated dog dishes. I don't bother putting the water into the dish, I just set a small plastic pail, like an old icecream bucket into the dog dish. Have a few of these and all you need to do is take out a new bucket and swap it out.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The soybeans need to be roasted or boiled, but I bet you know that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by