Feed & my flock of 14

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zivas Homestead, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Zivas Homestead

Zivas Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I have a flock of 14 mixed ages and breeds. I'm looking to control their feed a bit more as times are hard and feed prices are only going up. I'd like to make a 50lb bag last a month which equals to a little less then 2 pounds of feed a day. Is this unreasonable? They also free range and are fed table scraps. Thanks much.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens should have, on average, about 1/4 pound of chicken feed a day. So, two pounds would be enough, in theory, for about eight birds. Depending on the breeds and ages, it could last a longer time, or a shorter time. Feeding table scraps will cut down on the amount of feed they eat, so two pounds might just be enough.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The 1/4lb per day is usually stated for production birds like Leghorns & Sex Linked. The amount for dual purpose birds is 1/3 lb./day. 2 lbs would give your birds just over 2 ounces a day. Is this enough? It depends on how much of the other stuff they are getting. Over 4 lbs/day would be normal for 14 birds without any extras. My opinion is that 2 lbs would not be enough with winter coming. I would not expect many eggs. YMMV

4. sfh11

sfh11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    Start with the 1/4 ounce per day and adjust. If feed is left when you feed the next day, leave a little less feed. If there is not any feed left, feed a little more. Do that until you are satisfied they are getting enough to eat, but aren't wasting any.

5. Zivas Homestead

Zivas Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    I don't know if this matters but 7 of them chickens are 41/2 months old. I will do what sfh11 said, just give it a try. I am trying to sell 3 (a Buff and 2 GLW)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by