Feed & my flock of 14

Zivas Homestead

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
North Carolina
I have a flock of 14 mixed ages and breeds. I'm looking to control their feed a bit more as times are hard and feed prices are only going up. I'd like to make a 50lb bag last a month which equals to a little less then 2 pounds of feed a day. Is this unreasonable? They also free range and are fed table scraps. Thanks much.

Chickens should have, on average, about 1/4 pound of chicken feed a day. So, two pounds would be enough, in theory, for about eight birds. Depending on the breeds and ages, it could last a longer time, or a shorter time. Feeding table scraps will cut down on the amount of feed they eat, so two pounds might just be enough.

The 1/4lb per day is usually stated for production birds like Leghorns & Sex Linked. The amount for dual purpose birds is 1/3 lb./day. 2 lbs would give your birds just over 2 ounces a day. Is this enough? It depends on how much of the other stuff they are getting. Over 4 lbs/day would be normal for 14 birds without any extras. My opinion is that 2 lbs would not be enough with winter coming. I would not expect many eggs. YMMV

Start with the 1/4 ounce per day and adjust. If feed is left when you feed the next day, leave a little less feed. If there is not any feed left, feed a little more. Do that until you are satisfied they are getting enough to eat, but aren't wasting any.

I don't know if this matters but 7 of them chickens are 41/2 months old. I will do what sfh11 said, just give it a try. I am trying to sell 3 (a Buff and 2 GLW)

Back
Top Bottom