Feed options are limited

ManWithChicks

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
So Ive done tons of research and I am still having problems.
Ive gone to 3 feed stores around my area, and all they carry is starter feed and laying feed.

My flock is about 11 weeks old. I have 5 females and 1 male.

I tried my hardest to find grower food and just seems impossible. One feed store told me at this age I should be feeding layer feed, another told me starter.

What would you guys do?
Thanks!

Starter feed is fine.
Layer feed has extra calcium as I am sure you know. While fine if they are all laying it is to much for those not yet laying or that have stopped for the winter.

Most feed stores near me will special order all flock feed.

Where in the world are you located?
Maybe there is an option someone knows of that can help.

Im in San Diego area. Im sure there has to be an option somewhere, I just havent found it yet as a new flock owner. But Ive gone to 3 family run feed stores, there are more if I travel a bit farther. I didnt ask why they dont carry many options. Like they have 20 brands of layer feed , but no options for much else.

Ill keep them on the starter mash until I can find a better option. But Ill keep searching!

Also, seems like there is mixed feeling on letting roosters eat layer feed, for the most part is it ok, or should I really search for a feed without extra calcium to let him eat for best health?

I feed 20% non medicated starter grower all the time with oyster shell in a separate container. The mill I buy from, does not make an all flock feed.

I don't have any roosters. I keep them on starter grower, so I don't have to change feed when I introduce new chicks and my flock seems to do very well on the 20% feed.

You could probably find the name of the feed company on the bag you have, and go to their website (if they have one) You could ask them if they make an all-flock with 20% protein. If they do, you could ask your local feed store to order a bag for you. Since they don't normally carry it, you would probably have to pay for it ahead of time, but it shouldn't be too bad. Many feed stores will special order for you, as long as they know they won't get stuck with it and not paid for it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

See, I realized Ive been feeding my flock a 22% mash since day 1 and now they are in the 11th or 12th week. I had also just read that too high of protein can make them develop too fast, and this is where my worry came, so I ran out looking for something lower in protein that was NOT fortified with calcium.

I didnt think to ask any feed stores to special order, but that totally makes sense. THe feed they carry, Ace Hi Feeds, has an entire line on their website. THey order pallets of the stuff. https://www.starmilling.com/product/ah-flock-builder.php Im guessing this is the feed I should try to get.

22% is oddly high. You can easily cut that with scratch though. Half feed/half scratch would give you a 15% overall protein ration (by weight, not volume). 2/3 feed plus 1/3 scratch would give you 17.33% protein overall, that would be just fine.

Note, you'll want to offer a bowl of grit before you start feeding scratch grains, if you haven't already.

If you could get them to order an All Flock like you linked, that would be even better.

Back
Top Bottom