Feed or starve my paranoia: weasels and 1/2" hardware cloth

I was just thinking yesterday I need you guys to get me all spooked up again so I'll get back to work on my chicken run/coop retrofit!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
What kind of thumbs do you have that you are poking them through 1/2" hardwarecloth? (YOu're sure it is 1/2" hardware cloth, not 1x1 welded wire, yes? Get a ruler and measure).

As long as it really is 1/2" hardwarecloth, and installed without gaps, you are essentially weaselproof. I would not bet my house and property on it being impossible for a juvenile least weasel to squeezle (<g>) in if it really wanted to, but I do not think that is a very likely circumstance and it still would probably fail if it tried. Any adult weasels (even least weasels, and certainly of the other two species) are NOT going through a 1/2" hole.

So just take a deep breath -- build your coop tightly and soundly, of course, but you'll be fine
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ok, you got me. I didn't really push my thumb through my HC cloth yet, it was on my list of things to do! It's in a tidy roll in the garage, and but I bet I can at least get the tip of my dainty thumb through! And It better be 1/2" HC: that's what I paid for! :)

I feel tons better reading responses.... I'm feeling pretty decent about my potential set-up. Definitely pinning down that HC cloth with a wood frame. I have so many neighbor nay-sayers with raised eyebrows, doubting it's possibility.

Onward!!!

Chicken.Lytle :

Here are some more ideas for you.

Make sure the hardware cloth is screwed down with wood frame so there are no places to just push through the edge.

Get a game camera or security camera that can detect small animals and not just deer.

Add an electric fence.

Make sure you have wire overhead. I had a raccoon try to get through the gap between the top plate and the roof.

Buy a live trap and a .22 pellet rifle that is 800-1000 fps (powerful but not supersonic).

OK, I am out of ideas.

Get a good hunting dog: Jack russel, rat terrier, whatever you like...

Train it not to kill your chickens.

Make a second fence around your coop with plenty of run space for the dog, and let him do night patrol. If anything comes into the yard, you'll KNOW!​

chickensducks&agoose :

Your thumbs are too small. Grab someone with regular sized thumbs and try that test again. It'll be fine.

I'll second that. Anything small enough to crawl through 1/2" x 1/2" is probably going to be chicken food.

Originally I wanted 1/4" x 1/4" to keep mice out but I found my chickens are more than happy to take care of any that enter their yard.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Well then a weasel may be able to get the tip of its dainty snout through... but only the sniffy bits, not the bitey bits
wink.png

Pat (who actually quite likes weasels, as long as the poultry is kept safe from them)

Your setup sounds just fine to me. Definitely look at all the joins for gaps - we have a metal corrugated roof and where that joins the wall there are the gaps in the areas where the roof goes up. We put screen over those areas and have never had a weasel get in and I am sure they are out there - we are surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest. The chickens LOVE the small snakes and mice - my buff orpingtons used to fight over who got them! It is a good idea to be as careful as you can - just try not to be too paranoid either as that can rob you of your enjoyment of your birds.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, I'm pretty sure I was reading too much doom and destruction on the P and P forum! I'm looking forward to my bantams busting down on any snake in the area!!!

Yeah, you must have some seriously tiny thumbs if you can get them through 1/2" hardware cloth. Don't worry. I am in a high predator area with tons of weasels, and none have ever penetrated the run. By the way, I completely enclosed it in the 1/2" hardware cloth, including the floor, and then covered that with six inches of sand. The only thing that could get into my run would have to be a bear.

Quote:

No weasel can make it through 1/2" hardware cloth. You can buy 1/4" tho. I have seen it. It is pricier tho I thiink. For real peace of mind, electrify the run. See 'My BYC Page' for ideas.

Gerry
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom