Feed prices went up again

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Acre of Blessings, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just since last week the feed here has went up $0.50. When I bought my first bag of feed for my chicks when I got them back in April it was $10.50. Now, today I went to get another bag and it was $13.00 for 50#. [​IMG]

I tell ya, I am beginning to wonder if the fresh eggs are worth it. Goat feed 3 weeks ago was $8.00 now it is $11.50 for 50#. Another [​IMG]

Scratch Grain went from $9.00 to $11.50 for 50# yet another [​IMG]

So what is one to do? Sell out or find other ways to fill up the chickens.

I am wanting to do meat birds in the Spring but if the prices of feed keep going up I won't be able to. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You can supplement your leftovers as feed. It really helps. Just keep them away from chicken, of course, onions & garlic, potato & tomato leaves, and rhubarb. Mine eat just about everything I eat.

I don't recommend that for meat birds, though. BUT meat birds are never cheap to do. They are just healthier meat.

3. bluedog

bluedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    hmmm thats odd. i went to the feed store over the week end and thay told me that the price of feed had went down i was paying 18.90 for a 100# now it is 17.50 for a 100# that price is what i pay for my chicken and hog feed that is at the mill where thay make it.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I sure wish I could find a local manufacturer that I could buy it from for that price. Hopefully here it will go back down but I see no end in sight yet.

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Don't know if this will help, but I get my feed from a farming supply chain store. They have one of those rewards cards you sign up for. Not a credit card, but one of those store cards. I don't buy much from there other than feed and only about 1 bag per month at that. I often get 10-15% off purchase coupons from them and last week I got my 1st quarterly rewards check for $7 something.

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Layena and Start & Grow went up $1 a bag each...now for a bag of each it is a little over $29 with tax. [​IMG]

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I hear ya. When I first got Rhett, 3.5 years ago, his feed was $8 per #50. Now it is $10. And the "jump" in price has been over the last year.
    I dont even want to think about hay and shavings and how much that is costing now. Heck I remember when BS sweet feed was $5 for 50#, hay was $4 a bale(decent sized bales too!) and shavings were $2 for a BIG paper wrapped bag.

I was going to get a second horse this fall. But even with me going back to work more hours per week.. there is just no way I can justify that now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by