Feed, Protein and Niacin Question/Confusion

JosieR

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Orange County, NY
I'm currently using Purina Start and Grow (18 percent protein according to the tag) but I'm finding all the info on feed a little confusing....

According to the chart on the bag of feed I should be using Flock Raiser (higher protein) at this age. It says Start and Grow is for CHICKS this age. However, according to Storey's Book my ducks should be getting 15-16 percent protein for moderate growth. It says 18 percent is often used but it increases the risk of physical problems.

Since these are pets I am not concerned with maximum growth.

I also read somewhere on here, I think, that the Purina Feed does not have enough Niacin. I only see a Niacin supplement on the tag of the feed bag so I'm not sure of the amount in it. I bought Niacin but the store only had 500 mg capsules. Storey's book says 100-150 mg per gallon of water. I opened the capsule and divided it into 5 about equal amounts and put each one in tin foil (I'm sure THAT wouldn't look good if people came over LOL).

Is what I'm doing OK? Should I add some rolled oats to the ducks feed so they're not getting so much protein? More or less Niacin? I'm afraid of giving them too much since I now that's not good either.

What kind of food do you use? Do you use supplements or add oats?

Thanks!

Josie

First off how old are your ducklings?

I start my duckings out on Purina medicated Start & Grow and that is what they get until they're old enough (adult size) to go into the adult pen. Then they get Purina Flock raiser. A couple of times a week I sprinkle some niacin on top of their food....like I'm salting my food.

Sorry, I knew I forgot something!
smile.png

I got my runners on 4/20 but they were a little bigger already, I would have to guess about a week old so probably 4-5 weeks now. My Cayugas were bought the the next day and they had just been hatched and delivered that day so they are 4 weeks today.

Thanks!

Anyone? I'm afraid of giving too much Niacin since I don't know how much is in the feed but I'm afraid of adding oats because I don't want to dilute the vitamin content of the feed?

Are there other feeds you all are using that are better than these?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I was feeding my calls Nutrina starter crumbles which has @ 26% protein when they first hatched. I started adding 1 cup of oats to every 5 cups of Nutena to bring the the protein count down to @ 20% after the first week. Then I started adding 2 cups of oats to 1 cp of crumbles to get the protein down the 15% up until now. They will be 8 weeks old on Friday. I sprinle brewers yeast, @ 1 heaping teaspoon in with their food. I also feed lots of differant greens every day such as kale, chard, wheat grass, ect. I purchased a 50 lb bag for 5 calls because I didn't know at the time that I would have to change their food after a few weeks. My next bag will have a lower protein content, @ 15%. I wouldn't get too hung up on what happens if you mix oats to the vitamin % if you are also supplementing their diet with greens and veggies.

Vicki

i don't read books or follow guides on raising animals. i just know the basics, that's good enough for me. i feed mine game bird starter when they are young and then switch to layer pellets. i have raised perfectically fine ducks without all the madness of niacin and brewers yeast. i don't see a point. don't punish me either for this, my ducks are perfect and healthy and wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom