feed question, switching from grower to layer to early

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
i have heard alot of different opinions on when to switch to layer feed . i use blueseal brand feed it says to switch to layer at 20 weeks . but i have had some birds not start laying until 30 weeks or more . also lost a few 1 year olds to prolape. wondering if the cause is because of switching to layer feed to early. i was just going by the label on the bag 20 weeks. then i heard dont start layer feed until you see first egg wich confuses me because if ther not eating layer feed how can they start laying eggs.

The main differences I have seen between layer feed and starter feed is that the layer feed holds more calcium to suppliment them for laying eggs, and higher protein levels than a starter. I am sure I don't know it all but every set of birds is different. If I have some laying and some not usually i will mix my grower feed and layer pellets so they have a mix so i dont get the shelless eggs. But I usually keep them on grower till I see the first eggs.

They will start laying eggs when they're ready. Switch to layer feed after they start. Switching too early is risking kidney damage.

Back
Top Bottom