Feed Question

bex1983

Songster
May 7, 2019
What is the best (and accessible) organic feed for ducklings after 2 weeks old when the protein needs to be lowered and before layer feed?

Thanks in advance!

Depends. You have no location posted, so I'll guess you're in the states. Both Nutrena and Purina sell organic chick starter. I believe they both sell organic allflock. Should be available at almost all major farm stores.

Anything above 55 ppm niacin and 18% protein is usually useable for raising ducklings. I've used meatbird feed, after checking it against Metzer Farm's listed nutritional requirements.

Depends. You have no location posted, so I'll guess you're in the states. Both Nutrena and Purina sell organic chick starter. I believe they both sell organic allflock. Should be available at almost all major farm stores.

Anything above 55 ppm niacin and 18% protein is usually useable for raising ducklings. I've used meatbird feed, after checking it against Metzer Farm's listed nutritional requirements.

Sorry, yes, I’m in the States (Southeastern Michigan). Right now my feed isn’t organic (Mana Pro Duck Starter/Grower since I couldn’t find any organic waterfowl/duck specific starter feed locally or without extremely high shipping charges), but that has 22% protein and I read I need to switch after 2 weeks to a lower protein feed. I am raising ducks for the eggs so I definitely want a good quality organic/non gmo feed as soon as I can. And I know at a certain point I will need to switch to a layer feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom