Feed question

Joken

Songster
May 11, 2020
Our Chickens are eight weeks old. We have a lot of greens from the garden is ok to give them a lot of this stuff at this age?

Congratulations! I don't see why not, if they'll eat it! Just make sure they get nice cool/fresh water at least once a day. I add a little ACV (apple cider vinegar). I add about 1 Tbsp to 2 gallons or a quick drip in. Sometimes during the summer, I change their water twice a day (I have a small flock). Don't forget about their food! Enjoy!

In my opinion, it's better to stay with chick starter feed until they are older. The chick starter feeds are formulated to contain the protein and nutrients they need, and also grit so they can process their food (think gizzard). Even when my hens walk their chicks through the garden, they urge their chicks to eat the protein and feed...and bugs, before the greens.

Pile it high! Make a mountain! Chop it fine to avoid impacted crop. Serve their usual groceries and water in their usual place, put chick grit or construction grade sand (it isn't dyed or washed with harsh chemicals) on the side.

This will make an excellent playground for your little ones as they scratch through it looking for bugs and eating tasty green tidbits along the way. The demolished mountain can be rebuilt daily with a few sweeps of a rake.

If they were born out in the pasture and foraging for themselves they'd be eating lots of plant material. I don't see that what you're offering would be an issue if they also have feed.
Except...
If you follow mom around, what she will have them eating is...bugs, or grubs, or other protein sources that I probably don't want to know too much detail about.

Unless you are willing to go out there and dig up that stuff like their mom would!

Back
Top Bottom