Feed recommendations! Thanks!

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey there! I currently have 13 chickens. 6 are full grown hens, 7 are 9 week old pullets.

Currently I am feeding the Purina all flock feed, with oyster shell on the side.

But, once all the chickens are laying, I want to switch to a layer feed.

Before, I was using Scratch and Peck organic layer feed, which was basically a mix of grains with the nutrients in a powder. I liked it, but realized the hens weren’t eating the powder part.

I was very excited when I heard that Scratch and Peck were releasing an Organic pellets. This sounded great!

But I realized three problems.

1. It was about 40$ for a 25# bag, and I usually use 50# bags, so I really need a cheaper option than 80 bucks for a 50# bag of feed. (I know, maybe I shouldn’t worry about the cost, but that is expensive in my opinion)

2. 16% protein. I really want a feed with protein at 18-20%.

3. It also didn’t have great reviews.

Anyway, so I’m looking for recommendations on layer pellets.

Preferences are:

18+ percentage of protein.

Local (PNW)

Organic

For layers

Not overly pricy.

Good reviews.

^not all of these requirements need to be fulfilled, but these are just some preferences.

Last edited:
That happens sometimes. I like to mix an organic layer crumble with the organic layer grain feed type you mentioned.

I also use a powder vitamin/electrolyte mix approved for organic use (murray mcmurray has one) into water for them and give that periodically (either once a week or once every two weeks) to make sure there are no deficiencies. : )

Mars, the maker of M&M's own Pedigree and Nestle, the maker of Milkybars make Purina food.
Considering their expertise in the chocolate industry I'm sure they make excellent dog and chicken food but I've never really trusted their interest in nutrition considering their main market is confectionery.

I think the most important is what is locally available or to order online, then compare them based on price and what you might like or not like. I've found great feeds researching them only to basically end up picking what is easiest to source, including a grower feed which seems to be less available at shops than layer pellets but grower feed is needed in winter to give the birds a break once in a while so I prefer picking a feed where I can get hold of both.

The brands my local feed store carries is:
Scratch and Peck

X-Cel feeds

Payback

Little Giants

Harris Farms

Haystack Farm and Feeds

Red Bridge Farm

Purina

^these are at the local store, and I haven’t really researched them, but if any of those you know are good, please recommend them. I’m not even sure if they all carry chicken feed.

I also have a TSC nearby, but I’d rather support a local store.

Hi! In the past I've used payback, and it's great! Also, if your feed store carries Conway, I recommend it. I've used it for almost ten years now! I believe both of these carry organic. If you happen to be near Snohomish-Coop, they carry Conway, and a store brand that is manufactured by them.

I'm just curious, why do you want to switch them to layer?

Good luck!

You could give them 20% feed mixed with 16% layer feed that's what I do. I have a rooster I want to keep healthy. And when they go through molting it won't be an issue.

BTW I don't have eggshell issues.

Hi! In the past I've used payback, and it's great! Also, if your feed store carries Conway, I recommend it. I've used it for almost ten years now! I believe both of these carry organic. If you happen to be near Snohomish-Coop, they carry Conway, and a store brand that is manufactured by them.

I'm just curious, why do you want to switch them to layer?

Good luck!
I want to switch to layer feed in order to offer all of the nutrients the chickens may need. :) Also, I know about the Snohomish Co-op!

Back
Top Bottom