Feed sound off, Purina vs Blueseal vs Nutrena

Pics

chkncrazy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
Hey y'all out there. I know feed is a big thing for us, I've had chickens for 20 some odd years and have had the chance to try almost every feed available out there in Connecticut..... The ones my girls like the most and performed the best on and no particular order is blue seal layer crumbles and Layena layer crumble, the problem is my father who was trying to be nice was a Agway one day which does not carry any of these products and decided to pick me up any old bag of layer crumble, they carry something called "naturwise"...:barnie..... And I didn't think before I opened it... It looks so different than the regular feed I'm used to....it's brownish in color and I can't make out any little bits of corn it just looks like ground up cardboard.... The only thing I can compare it to is one time I tried being cheap and I bought Dumor crumble at tractor supply.... Well the girls sure let me have it:eek:.. they are definitely turning their beaks up at it but I'm very adamant... I'm going to have to end up buying another bag this week and mixing it.:he.. I mean it was great of my dad to help.. I told him next time to please run it by me... Which brings me to the Post, have any of you tried this food, or what do you guys like to feed your layers?????

If the feed is not rotten/spoiled there is no reason why you shouldn't feed it to your birds.
It is a complete balanced feed and should be just fine for them.
The main difference in "layer feeds" is the brand name...they are all pretty similar.

I'm still trying to figure out which works best. The last two bags (which are both open) are finer crumble than what I'd been feeding, so much so that the one bag I only feed as mash! I think I need to find pellets, tho I've only seen them in layer and my girls aren't there yet!

I buy and feed Purina Premium or Nutrena Naturewise to my Hens, whatever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC.
My hens, 40 months and 12 months old like and eagerly eat both brands.
Check the mill date on the Nutrena Naturewise analysis tag. It's easy to decipher. 20190316_133635_kindlephoto-9221574.jpg . GC

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out which works best. The last two bags (which are both open) are finer crumble than what I'd been feeding, so much so that the one bag I only feed as mash! I think I need to find pellets, tho I've only seen them in layer and my girls aren't there yet!
If your chickens, ducks are over 7 weeks old and you have a TSC that you shop at. Give this All-Flock Pellet a try. 20190816_130151_resized.jpg . GC
ETA; Chickens don't like change. I successfully changed my first Flock over to Pellets by mixing it in with Scratch Grains and toss on dry ground for a couple days.
They thought the Pellets were a treat.
I mixed the Pellets with the crumbles 50/50 in the feeder and they eagerly ate the Pellets.

Last edited:
That brand is pretty good. I don’t use the crumbles, I use the pellets. That brand has probiotics that suppose to help aid in good gut flora and help egg shell thickness. I also use Purina layer pellets. I had good results with both. Shiny feathers strong eggs. :idunnoThen again they are also pasture ranged. And they eat just about anything. :D

Chickens can be offended by any sudden food change, so mixing the new with the old works best. I buy Flock Raiser, because I like that it's an all-flock feed, and always available fresh where I shop.
Do check the mill date on each bag, and use feed up within about eight weeks of milling.
What you buy depends on what's available fresh at your feed stores, and what your birds need and do well on when they eat it.
Layer feeds don't work for my flock of males, laying hens, chicks, and hens not in lay.
Mary

Thanks for all the feedback! All my girls have always been 15 weeks and up, as a place sells 100s of started pullets near me...(lucky me) So i haven't had to fuss with babies unless I want certain breeds.... What I've noticed from the "homefresh" is that their poo is a little more runny, I've noticed it in the past as well but I can't remember if it was dumor or homefresh... With blue seal layer crumbles the food looks more complete like you could see the bits of corn and other meal in the crumble, as well as Layena, when does home fresh crumble breaks up it turns into dust, or if it gets wet it gets spongy instead of gruel like, like the other ones.... But I definitely think I got to mix it...It's hard to tell with the egg production as I have strictly leghorns right now and they will lay through a nuclear explosion lol:eek:

I buy and feed Purina Premium or Nutrena Naturewise to my Hens, whatever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC.
My hens, 40 months and 12 months old like and eagerly eat both brands.
Check the mill date on the Nutrena Naturewise analysis tag. It's easy to decipher.View attachment 1881411. GC
Is this Layena, by Purina, you are using or the home fresh version by nutrena..... They are two separate ones right or are they just branded that way... I believe layina is Purina, homefresh is nutrena...blah!! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom