Feed store and Home remedies for your K9 friends

RentaPig311

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Denton Texas
Along side my chickens I also have a 150# Irish wolfhound and a 20# street mutt. The wold hound has constant smelly ear infections and thought this may be a good spot to look for home/vet alternative treatments. I know a lot of us homestead folks use dogs for all kinds of things and can't always afford a vet. Please post you tips, tricks, remedies, feed store meds and instructions etc that you use to keep your dogs healthy. In my case I'm especially interested in ear infection HP.

I don't know if it's available in the US but I have successfully used a ear drop called Otodex which is cheap and available over the internet in the UK.

I have used this silver with our dogs, as well as ourselves.  I have actually put this in my eyes for conjunctivitis and it cleared it in 3 days.  Silver is a very good antiviral/antibacterial. 
I used it in my dogs water bowls and on treats if they ever show signs of sickness.  I would not have even a second thought putting a few drops in the ears then gently massaging the ears if they can tolerate it.  

There are also a number of essential oils that are safe for pets.  I would highly recommend getting organic therapeutic grade oils because of higher purity and they are safe to use on the skin.  Research before you apply.
We have treated our dogs for porcupine quills, puncture wounds, as well as coughs and colds.  

Last edited:
Hi. I just got a book about natural remedies. I don't know if it will work but this is what it says about treating ear mites:

"Place a few drops of olive oil on a cotton ball and place it in the ear for a minute or two, then be sure to remove all traces of the oil."

Wolfhounds have big ears. Not sure if you could actually stick a cotton ball in there and be able to fish it back out!

PS- the book is called "Dr. Bader's Pest Cures: Natural Solutions to Things That Bug You".

Are they yeast infections? If so, adding some apple cider vinegar to his food will help. I use a teaspoon a day in my 50lb Pit Bull's food and it keeps her yeast issues under control.

For an active infection, Zymox makes an over the counter ear ointment that most feed stores should carry.

I have two shih-tsu's and one has had chronic ear infections for the first four years of her life because she has floppy ears and when they get wet the ears would not dry out well. I was sick n tired of buying otomax which was prescribed by the vet and did not seem to clear it up completely and then would come back full force with the next bath.

I am a fan of colloidal silver as well and one Day decided to try a mix of colloidal silver and isopropyl alcohol in a small spray bottle. Within a week her ear infection was cleared up and I just spray a little in each ear after bath prophylactically. Cheap and extremely effective, also, I think yeast becomes resistant to the antibiotics after a while.

The best way to keep your 4 legged child healthy is to stop feeding commercially made dog food. Most of them are poor quality grains and even poorer quality meat by products. Research raw diets for dogs and switch to that for a happier healthier dog and lower vet bills.

A good home made ear remedy can be made using the following: 16 oz isopropyl Alcohol, 4 TBsp Boric Acid and 16 drops of 1% Gentian violet. All of this is easy to find at your local pharmacy. Be careful when using as it can stain clothing.

Back
Top Bottom