Feed store blend vs. name brand feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PaisyQ, Dec 14, 2016.

1. PaisyQ

PaisyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    I've been feeding my hens a feed blended by my local feed store, supplemented with Calf Manna. While I think they have been doing fine on this, I am always wondering if they are getting everything they need. Now a different store in town has started carrying Naturewise feeds, and I'm wondering about switching them over to this; specifically if this might be better for them. The naturewise would be a little more expensive, but wouldn't break my budget, so I thought it worth considering. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

What is in the feed store blend? I would check the nutritional analysis on both and compare the two. As long as the feed store blend has the necessary protein, calcium, vitamins and minerals it should be fine.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ditto that. I would also check the protein content of calf manna. Is there a reason why you are using calf manna????

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
  5. PaisyQ

PaisyQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    Next time I need chicken feed, I'll check the nutrition info. I dump the feed in a bin when I open a bag, and toss the bag, and don't have one of the feed store stuff to look at. But thanks for the idea, I think it is a good one.

lazy gardener, when I first started keeping chicken a couple friends I have who have had chickens a lot longer than I have recommended the Calf Manna to me. My own research online found nothing but praise for it, so I started adding it in. The chickens love it. And that is the stuff I am talking about.

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    From my quick glance, it looks like it would be a nice nutritional boost. The only ? I would have about it would be this: How long does it take you to go through a bag of it, and would it get stale in that time? One of the poultry nutrition experts says that chicken feed is well on it's way to becoming rancid 42 days after mill date.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by