feed store chickens

scootermom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
Hi everyone - my local feed store (Pomona Feed and Fuel, in Pomona, CA) is getting chicks tomorrow, and I plan to get 5-6. Does anyone have any advice how to pick healthy ones? Also, I'm interested in Easter Eggers chicks, do they all have that "mohawk" thing or is there another way to determine the EE chicks from the rest?

welcome-byc.gif
Look for active chicks with bright eyes. Not all EEs have the ear tufts. It depends on how they were bred. I'm surprised that they'll have EEs there. Our feed store here in CT where I live carries only the most common breeds. You're lucky!
bun.gif
Check out www.feathersite.com and look down the list for their links to chick pics. You should find a picture there. Its a great site.

Yep, stick to the active chicks, no wet butts. Try to watch them for a bit before making a choice.... almost all will run and appear active when you reach in so it can be misleading.

EE's are a mix and come in all styles/colors/markings...

Have fun and good luck !!!!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks, CTChickenMom,! They say that they have EE chicks, but I would like to be able to identify them myself. They rambled off a list of the breeds they had, and I know I can't tell the difference between them, as chicks especially. I'll look at the pics on feathersite closely before I go!

Our feed store carries EE's too so I feel lucky. I love my EE's!

I picked mine last year by their activity level and coloring (I wanted a variety) although a couple of times I picked the ones sitting in the corner all alone because I felt sorry for them. Lol I know, not the smartest thing to do but they turned out to be the best chickens I have!
big_smile.png

Scootermom Welcome.
I too picked mine just buy watching
them awhile and took home
the active ones, 2 roos and 4 hens
now all grown black cochins.
good layers and good moms..
sorry cant help with the EEs

Quote:
The feed store will have them all separated, so don't worry. If they have more then one kind in the cage they will be obviously different & labeled. As in: Red & Black Sex links - pretty obvious who will be who....

Depends on the feed store actually. Mine does not keep the chicks separate. They will usually mix two or three breeds together so it can be a real challenge to get the chicks you want!

Back
Top Bottom