Feed store mixed up breeds and I’m not sure what breed my chicks actually are

I hadn’t even thought about a cream legbar. I don’t believe they had legbars that day but it’s not impossible. How soon does the crest start to show up on a cream legbar chick? These chicks are supposed to be pullets and are 2 weeks old tomorrow.
Highly unlikely to be a CCLB. They run about twice the price of standard chickens, they are often banded for identification because they do look like so many other breeds and not carried by most hatcheries.
#2 is not a welsummer. Do you know what hatchery the store uses?

I was at Tractor Supply about two weeks ago and got some chicks. Our Tractor Supply has a big fully enclosed dog kennel surrounding the chick bins. You can’t really see what’s in the bins well because on two sides they have merchandise shelves right up against it and on the third side they have a checker booth. You have to get on the opposite side, stand on your tip toes and try to peak over to see into the farthest bins. Me and another lady were there both getting the same types of chicks. She got hers and then I got mine. The same worker got both our chicks. I got 2 Amberlink, 2 Salmon Faverolles, and 2 Buff Rocks. The Faverolles and Buff Rocks were in the same bin. He had to pull out his phone to look at pictures because he said he couldn’t remember what they looked like. I noticed when he was pulling the chicks out he pulled out two pretty dark chicks and two light yellow chicks with a few grey toned wing feathers. Neither of those breeds were dark colored but I just thought maybe when they feathered out they would be lighter or something weird like that. He showed me the light yellow grey toned wing feather chick and called it a Buff Rock and the brown chicks the Faverolles. He gave the other lady the same chicks when she asked for them so I just thought to trust the worker. Well as I got them home and they started to feather out over the next week I just kept thinking something wasn’t right. They were growing dark feathers and none of the breeds I got were dark feathered. So I started googling what the breeds of chicks looked like specifically. I believe that what he called the Buff Rocks are actually the Faverolles and the ones he said were Faverolles are actually Welsummers. They did have Welsummers that day but they were labeled in a different bin and not what I asked for. Kind of bummed I didn’t get the Buff Rocks I really wanted but it’s okay. My Amberlinks are definitely Amberlinks, I’ve had these chicks in the past and they look exactly like they should. Can anyone that has had any Salmon Faverolles and Welsummers confirm this? I’d really like to know what breed of chicks I actually have.
View attachment 3057783View attachment 3057784
#1 is a salmon faverolle and #2 is a crested cream legbar

I agree with everyone else on the first chick (sold as a Buff Rock, but really Salmon Faverolles).

For the second chick, many chicks can be striped like that, but I'm guessing Easter Egger because of the dark feet. Welsummers and Legbars are supposed to have yellow feet. Most of the other striped-chick breeds I can think of would have yellow feet as well.

If you can get a clear picture of the comb on #2, that might help rule out some breeds.
Welsummers and Cream Legbars and many others have single combs.
Many Easter Eggers have pea combs (they can have any comb type, but pea is common).

So if it has a pea comb, you will have ruled out every breed that has a single comb.
(And if it does have a single comb, you haven't learned much.)

I agree with everyone else on the first chick (sold as a Buff Rock, but really Salmon Faverolles).

For the second chick, many chicks can be striped like that, but I'm guessing Easter Egger because of the dark feet. Welsummers and Legbars are supposed to have yellow feet. Most of the other striped-chick breeds I can think of would have yellow feet as well.

If you can get a clear picture of the comb on #2, that might help rule out some breeds.
Welsummers and Cream Legbars and many others have single combs.
Many Easter Eggers have pea combs (they can have any comb type, but pea is common).

So if it has a pea comb, you will have ruled out every breed that has a single comb.
(And if it does have a single comb, you haven't learned much.)
1388ED71-603B-441B-AA71-BFB22D7C5696.jpeg
81318152-1450-4F93-BC3B-4EBFD10261C8.jpeg

Here’s a better picture of the comb and the pattern on her back

Highly unlikely to be a CCLB. They run about twice the price of standard chickens, they are often banded for identification because they do look like so many other breeds and not carried by most hatcheries.
#2 is not a welsummer. Do you know what hatchery the store uses?
I’m not sure what hatchery they use. A few years ago I was told they used Hoovers but that could be completely different now. They had about 12 different breeds that day. Some of the breeds had these laminated papers with pictures of the roosters and hens, breed name, purpose, and a description. Other breeds only had a piece of white printer paper with the name handwrote on it. These darker stripper chicks came out of a bin with paper labels for Buff Rock and Faverolles. If by some crazy chance it really is a CCLB, someone really messed up. :lol:

I’m not sure what hatchery they use. A few years ago I was told they used Hoovers but that could be completely different now. They had about 12 different breeds that day. Some of the breeds had these laminated papers with pictures of the roosters and hens, breed name, purpose, and a description. Other breeds only had a piece of white printer paper with the name handwrote on it. These darker stripper chicks came out of a bin with paper labels for Buff Rock and Faverolles. If by some crazy chance it really is a CCLB, someone really messed up. :lol:
* striped

Back
Top Bottom