Feed suppliers - Raleigh area

cjstanman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Just north of Raleigh
I've been reading through this thread a lot and am wondering if any of you NC folks out there can tell me where there are feed mills in or near the Raleigh area (or points north).

As far as I can tell, my choices on chicken feed are either Dumor from TSC or the Southern States brand - that's about it that I've seen so far. ? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I bought starter feed from the Little Birdie Hatchery in Wake Forest when I bought my chicks. The feed was from a mill in or near Durham called Bull City Mill (I think). I'm sure that Mike or his son, Ben, at Little Birdie Hatchery will tell you where to get it if you are not interested in going to their home/business.
Now that mine are 10 to 12 weeks old I am out of the starter feed and need to move on to another, intermediate feed (before going to layer feed at 20 weeks). I may go there.

I've been searching these threads all around for good feed. I read that the feed from Little Birdie Hatchery has a lot of insects in it.

Hi, This is Mike from Little Birdie Hatchery. I wanted to take a moment to comment on our feed. Though we have never had negative feedback sent to us about our feed, it is possible that, if not stored properly, the feed will grow bugs. We call it "Natural Backyard Layer" for a reason. It is a whole grain based diet that comes from the field into the bag. It is not heat treated nor do we use chemical pesticides on it. Nor would we ever. Any crop has insect eggs on it. There are only two ways to kill them. Cook it, or chemically treat it. We believe cooking it changes the nutritional content. And, we don't want to expose our birds to pesticides. If a feed can be kept on a shelf for many months without bugs growing, rest assured, one of these two methods has been used. If feed is kept in a cool, dry area, it can be kept bug free.

TO MALIG: Love your answer Mike, and what you are doing...Also, think about it a little bit: If the feed is mold free the chicks will love the bugs...What else does a chicken dream about except catching bugs all day. Imagine having a whole sackful for supper. This is tongue in cheek and not making fun of any one, period. Glad you responded as rumors hurt a business and one isolated incident, either true or mistaken, causes damage that is hard to remedy.. Thanks for your contribution to healthy food and sustainable agriculture...VERY BEST OF LUCK...

Hello Cjstanman, I used to get my feed from the TSC too but then started buying my Starter feed from the Little Birdie Hatchery for my little & sickly ones. I only received good feed from them & with a little water added to it so they inhaled less, they would woof it down. For my big chickens (bantams) I buy my feed from Circle G Livestock Feeds at 151 Price Hocutt Rd., Wendell. They are closed on Sun & Mon. Open Tues, Thurs, & Fri. 9am-7pm. Wed. 9am-6pm and Sat. 8am-2pm. Hope this helps.

We use Reedy Fork Organic Farm feed. You can pick it up in Elon or have it delivered to several retail outlets throughout the state. The feed is all organic with no GMOz ingredients. It's more than other feeds, but worth it since my investment is returned to me through healthy, chemical free and sustainable egg products I can share with family and friends.Chicks love it too!

Back
Top Bottom