Feed Tests - More Results

I don’t disagree with any of these responses and assessment of the feed. I do stand by something was off and out of the norm for my flock. I owned chickens long before covid was a thing. I actually moved into goats at that time because I had time to fence a few acres by hand 😂…. I lost complete egg production during the fall and winter. I ordered chickens with a client of mine in the spring of 2022 hers were laying and mine weren’t. I have a flock larger than most on here. It was just all very odd to me. I still don’t know why and it is a mystery but I’m good with the feed tests and know there are just a million variables to account for. Stress and weather/daylight are real things that nature has to deal with and is a constant moving goalpost.

Can you explain to stick with the best (label backed) feed she can afford and then add better snacks? No table scraps.

Can you tell her they are just low on Phosphorus, and Methionine? She could just sprout some sunflower seeds and supplement with that... (weak smile) and wheat sprouts.

Fermented feed is likely less deficient because things are more bioavailable for digestion...

Sorry, grasping at straws because even "cheap" feed is better balanced than homemade.

If you can stall her, then spring should come along anytime now... That should put everything right.

(Humming the song "The sun will come out Tomorrow..." While hugging a very confused hen)
I thought it was "The eggs will come out tomorrow....."?

Ok... I am actually your yardstick in this study...

I am in Canada, and Purina Canada is a completely separate company than Purina USA (the one outside of both those is yet another company)

I can assure you that the Canadian govt is not capable of doing something as complex as mess with a private company like Purina. (So.... Not... Capable)

My hens were born Jan 2020 (in my case they are COVID hens, it allowed me to work from home for the first time) and
... (Drum roll)

For the longest time this winter.... Only one hen has been laying... (Her name is Charlotte, maybe that had something to do with it, I think it is a pretty name)

None of your theories seem to include cloud calculation... I have had a heavy snow winter, which means cloudy.

So, darker than normal, old hens, same feed, very low laying.

Last few days it has been nicer weather (sunny) and now two other hens are laying (on days they don't they still hang out in the nest so I think they are gearing up)

Winter, cloudy, cold... Who wants to lay eggs in that!

I agree with their little winter hiatus.

Now we are going outside a little... Seeing snow melt... Spring is in the air!

Now we want babies! Now we want to dig up the garden and have fun!

(Just to be clear, I have 6 feet of snow in the yard... The garden is not available for digging up... For a little while yet)

I've never actually had problems with Dumor or Producer's Pride, (although we usually feed Purina). Interesting to me that lately feed issues seem to be a new thing.... but then, I haven't quite read through all 32 pages of this thread...:) I only got on here to see what was going on with that, because one of my neighbors mentioned it. First I'd heard....

I've never actually had problems with Dumor or Producer's Pride, (although we usually feed Purina). Interesting to me that lately feed issues seem to be a new thing.... but then, I haven't quite read through all 32 pages of this thread...:) I only got on here to see what was going on with that, because one of my neighbors mentioned it. First I'd heard....
It was time better spent having a life rather than reading through these posts... I want those hours back... ;)

It boils down to:

Option 1: the govt (who can't efficiently do its own work) managed to convince businesses to destroy their own credibility in the face of their customers by shining magic lights on food bags to reduce egg production. (Or add toxic items to some of the feed, but not all)

Option 2: a lot of newbies got hens in 2020 (COVID) and those hens are now older and don't lay in winter, or they didn't notice and treat health issues. But are now seeing this very normal seasonal change and suspect something. Those people go online to learn and are being catered to by people who DO profit from you reading their posts and viewing their YouTube videos.

The more hot air the faster the windmill turns.

Option 3: it has been a cloudy winter so the darker days reduced egg production.

Last edited:
Option 4: high level of stress in flock

Option 5: chickens laying eggs up in trees or some unknown place

Option 6: more than 100 more options leading back to option 1 that it might be the feed. 😂
It might be the feed, yes, if the reason is the manufacturer tried to lower cost by using cheaper ingredients. That I can believe... But the govt involvement is just too much.

Stupid short-term thinking capitalism we have all seen before, but a force strong enough to move industry and efficient enough that they did it successfully? That I can't believe.

Oh I agree I was just messing around. My flock was all weird this winter and I was mad buying eggs but clearly we have tested on here and solved this in my mind by eliminating the feed variable. For me anyway.
:hugs

Sorry if I was snippy, you didn't deserve that (even if you had felt the govt stole your eggs when it was supposed to be delivering mail and keeping kids safe, and air/water clean & free. That is no call for snippyness.)

Back
Top Bottom