Feed type for new layers and soon to be layers

Kinzer

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Northern Utah
We have 10 chickens all about the same age and two have started laying eggs in the last week. We have been feeding the Purina Layena layer pellets that I believe include oyster shells in the ingredients for about a month now. All the chickens seem happy and healthy with this feed. However, I found a local mill that sells feed in bulk and I am thinking of switching to their 18% layer mash which is almost half the price of the Purina per pound. They also have a chicken scratch that I think I will get to give the chickens something fun to do. I figured I would throw some scratch out into their run every morning. Does it sound like the chickens will get all the nutrients they need from these two feeds? I’m new to all this and want to make sure they have everything they need. Thanks in advance.

We have 10 chickens all about the same age and two have started laying eggs in the last week. We have been feeding the Purina Layena layer pellets that I believe include oyster shells in the ingredients for about a month now. All the chickens seem happy and healthy with this feed. However, I found a local mill that sells feed in bulk and I am thinking of switching to their 18% layer mash which is almost half the price of the Purina per pound. They also have a chicken scratch that I think I will get to give the chickens something fun to do. I figured I would throw some scratch out into their run every morning. Does it sound like the chickens will get all the nutrients they need from these two feeds? I’m new to all this and want to make sure they have everything they need. Thanks in advance.
I do not recommend feeding too much scratch. Scratch is a treat. In other words, it should take up less than 10% of their overall diet. One grown chicken eats about half a cup a day, so you need to calculate 10% of that amount for your flock. It should only be a little less than 1/4 of a cup. If you feed other treats, the amount of scratch goes down.

I actually do not feed layer pellets. 18% protein is good though. If you are not planning to purchase more chicks or have any cockerels, layer feed may be for you. I, however, have cockerels, a rooster, pullets, chicks, and hens all in the same flock. So I feed Flock raiser or chick grower. As long as you have grit and oyster shells on the SIDE (not mixed with food), the birds will be fine. Some birds prefer baked and crushed egg shells as well. I feed 20% protein and have grit and oyster shells on the side. Never had a problem.

I do not recommend feeding too much scratch. Scratch is a treat. In other words, it should take up less than 10% of their overall diet. One grown chicken eats about half a cup a day, so you need to calculate 10% of that amount for your flock. It should only be a little less than 1/4 of a cup. If you feed other treats, the amount of scratch goes down.

I actually do not feed layer pellets. 18% protein is good though. If you are not planning to purchase more chicks or have any cockerels, layer feed may be for you. I, however, have cockerels, a rooster, pullets, chicks, and hens all in the same flock. So I feed Flock raiser or chick grower. As long as you have grit and oyster shells on the SIDE (not mixed with food), the birds will be fine. Some birds prefer baked and crushed egg shells as well. I feed 20% protein and have grit and oyster shells on the side. Never had a problem.
Great info on the scratch, thank you for that. I only have hens and no chicks, so the layer mash should be fine. Are the oyster shells a must? The layer mash should have calcium in it already. Just curious.

@Kinzer - if you identify the local mill you are considering (or better, link the specific product) we might be able to give you more info than mere generalities. Likewise on the scratch.

But while we are dealing in generalities, I'll be brief.

Scratch is not nutritionally complete - nor is it intended to be. Its useful for enrichment (NOT dieatary enrichment, but behvioral enrichment) as a reward and aid to training, or to encourage scratching behaviors in areas the chickens might be ignoring. To avoid dietary imbalance, it is recommended that scratch not exceed 10% of the diet, by weight, daily. Less is better.

The thumb rule is that an average chicken in average conditions eats an average of 1/4# (100g) of complete feed daily. Neither our birds or conditions are average - but its a place to start.

1/10th of that is about 10g, .4 oz, or a level Tblspoon.

Since you have 10 birds, the math is easy - not more than 1/2 cup of scratch daily. Yes, 1/2 cup of scratch weight less than 1/4# - its a safety factor. If you want to weigh your scratch with an eye towards maximum, you certainly can. "A pints a pound the world around" is true of liquids like water. Scratch isn't so massive.

Re: "Layer Feed". I'd want to see the specific nutrition of your local mill, but in general, Layer Feed is crafted based on studies done in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s to determine the minimum diet (expense wise) below with losses in bird deaths, reduced production, and reduced egg quality are not offset by savings in feed cost. Those numbers are specific to certain breeds, in certain conditions, and aren't entirely applicable even to them anymore, due to breeding advances in the intervening period, as well as improved knowledge of Ca/P balance requirements and the importance of amino acids, particularly limiting amino acids in early growth and subsequent production.

For the typical backyard owner, with the typical backyard flock, using typical backyard management practices, I'm going to recommend what is oft described as an "All Flock/Flock Raiser" type feed, supplimented with free choice oyster shell in a separate dish as offering the best combination of meeting dietary needs at reasonable cost with minimal fuss. "All Flock/Flock Raiser", btw, is a moderately high protein feed (18-20%), around 3% fat, around 5% fiber, around 1% calcium, and about 0.5% phosphorus, with a good amino acid profile.

Because you have a flock of ten birds all the same age, all hens, I assume the same breed, and no mention of plans to bring on additional birds in the near future, that may not be the best bmethod for you, particularly if you have a good selection at the local mill.

More details on the mill, the breed, the feed, your plans, we can offer better advice for your specific circumstances.

Last edited:
Great info on the scratch, thank you for that. I only have hens and no chicks, so the layer mash should be fine. Are the oyster shells a must? The layer mash should have calcium in it already. Just curious.
So, I’m fairly new to chickens as well, so someone correct me if this isn’t correct. My understanding is that the calcium carbonate in feed is taken up into the body quickly-used for making the egg shell and what isn’t needed is processed out by the kidneys. The calcium carbonate in feed is limestone. Oyster shell provides a more long term source of calcium because it hangs out in the digestive system being processed and is slowly released into the bloodstream. Hens can also consume oyster shell as needed versus if limestone is mixed into their feed they have to eat it even if it’s more than they really need, which I’ve read can stress their kidneys. I think the kidney damage is more of a risk if you have breeds that don’t lay that much versus production breeds.

@Kinzer - if you identify the local mill you are considering (or better, link the specific product) we might be able to give you more info than mere generalities. Likewise on the scratch.

But while we are dealing in generalities, I'll be brief.

Scratch is not nutritionally complete - nor is it intended to be. Its useful for enrichment (NOT dieatary enrichment, but behvioral enrichment) as a reward and aid to training, or to encourage scratching behaviors in areas the chickens might be ignoring. To avoid dietary imbalance, it is recommended that scratch not exceed 10% of the diet, by weight, daily. Less is better.

The thumb rule is that an average chicken in average conditions eats an average of 1/4# (100g) of complete feed daily. Neither our birds or conditions are average - but its a place to start.

1/10th of that is about 10g, .4 oz, or a level Tblspoon.

Since you have 10 birds, the math is easy - not more than 1/4 cup of scratch daily. Yes, 1/4 cup of scratch weight less than 1/4# - its a safety factor. If you want to weigh your scratch with an eye towards maximum, you certainly can. "A cups a pound the world around" is true of liquids like water. Scratch isn't so massive.

Re: "Layer Feed". I'd want to see the specific nutrition of your local mill, but in general, Layer Feed is crafted based on studies done in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s to determine the minimum diet (expense wise) below with losses in bird deaths, reduced production, and reduced egg quality are not offset by savings in feed cost. Those numbers are specific to certain breeds, in certain conditions, and aren't entirely applicable even to them anymore, due to breeding advances in the intervening period, as well as improved knowledge of Ca/P balance requirements and the importance of amino acids, particularly limiting amino acids in early growth and subsequent production.

For the typical backyard owner, with the typical backyard flock, using typical backyard management practices, I'm going to recommend what is oft described as an "All Flock/Flock Raiser" type feed, supplimented with free choice oyster shell in a separate dish as offering the best combination of meeting dietary needs at reasonable cost with minimal fuss. "All Flock/Flock Raiser", btw, is a moderately high protein feed (18-20%), around 3% fat, around 5% fiber, around 1% calcium, and about 0.5% phosphorus, with a good amino acid profile.

Because you have a flock of ten birds all the same age, all hens, I assume the same breed, and no mention of plans to bring on additional birds in the near future, that may not be the best bmethod for you, particularly if you have a good selection at the local mill.

More details on the mill, the breed, the feed, your plans, we can offer better advice for your specific circumstances.
Correction a pint a pond the world round . A cup is only 8 oz. Punt is 16 oz.

So, I’m fairly new to chickens as well, so someone correct me if this isn’t correct. My understanding is that the calcium carbonate in feed is taken up into the body quickly-used for making the egg shell and what isn’t needed is processed out by the kidneys. The calcium carbonate in feed is limestone. Oyster shell provides a more long term source of calcium because it hangs out in the digestive system being processed and is slowly released into the bloodstream. Hens can also consume oyster shell as needed versus if limestone is mixed into their feed they have to eat it even if it’s more than they really need, which I’ve read can stress their kidneys. I think the kidney damage is more of a risk if you have breeds that don’t lay that much versus production breeds.
Wow that a lot of science! If you offer oyster shell free choice they will only eat if needed. Some hardly ever do.
Correct (and corrected), thank you. Not sure what was wrong at my brain in that moment

Correct (and corrected), thank you. Not sure what was wrong at my brain in that moment
Lol . I've never heard anyone but my Mom use that saying( except me to my girls when cooking or canning! I almost thought she made it up!?! :gig :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom