Feed Wastage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    My birds eat a layer pellet. They seem to eat the pellet fine, but usually there is leftover (not crumble from the pellet, but fine dust). My chickens don't seem to want to eat the fine leftovers from the pellets. To me that's a lot of wastage and money I am throwing away since I feed organic pellets which cost a fair amount. How can I prevent this wastage? My birds right now free range. So, am wondering if after they've gone thru and eaten all the pellets and all that is left is the fine stuff if I shouldn't feed them anymore pellets until the fines are eaten? What do you guys think? Do others have chickens that have feed wastage too.

Thanks
    Kim

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    mix up the dusty stuff with warm water to the consistency of a crumble and feed as a mash. They'll go for it usually like candy!

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Mine has the dust in there but I usually take it and mix it in there next treat. No waste

4. SunsetChickens

SunsetChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    Menlo Park, CA
    Quote:That's brilliant!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    or mix with the milk the kids let sit out all afternoon, or potato boiling water, or whatever else you might have handy, the chickens like it all [​IMG]

Pat

6. TechEdFireman

TechEdFireman Chillin' With My Peeps

When I was younger, we would only feed the chickens layer mash and on some occasions we would wet down the layer and the chickens would go crazy for it.

7. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    or put in in yogurt for them.

8. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:you beat me to it, I was going to say that too

or -- if you feed worms, "bread" them with the dust ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by