feed waste...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pozarnsk, Jul 7, 2008.

1. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    I have two week old chics and they have started digging so much that they end up covering there food up with pine chips very quickly. Is there a trick to not having so much feed waste?

2. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    What do you have their food in? As my chicks got older, I had toraise their feeder up by stacking little dishes undeneath. That helped me a bunch.

3. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Its a little trough like feeder. I'll try raising it up a bit.

4. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    I had the same issue with the trough feeder and my 3 week olds now have 2 2X4's under the feeders and I have the waterers up on a 4" high perch I built, It certainly makes the clean up easier.

I also took the feed that was full of shavings and sifted it thru a colander got out the bigger pieces of various stuff and mix it in with the new when I refill. I've already got the big feeder out ready to go because they are always perching on top of the trough and trying to scratch, there growing so fast I don't want the feeder to fall over on anybody.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yeah, get used to that! They are pigs!
    Mine are now 7 weeks old and still making a huge mess. I have their feeder up on a crate where they have to get up on that to eat so they have a grand time raking the feed out of it and into the dirt or shavings below. Fortunately, when I move the crate they act like the feed underneath is suddenly yummy. I bet though, that they have wasted at least a full bag since hatching.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by