Feed & Water - Inside or Outside

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by quietlyscheming, Sep 17, 2011.

1. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    I realize this is probably a newbie (total new guy here) question but I can't seem to find any references.

Is there a preferred location to provide feed and water? Does it matter?

I was actually going to set up my feed and water inside the coop but I see lots of folks provide it outside. Do you do both or will they simply go to where the food and is? My main concern with providing feed and water outside is all the various pests it may attract (mice, rats, squirrels).

Am I being overly obsessive?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Only at least forty bazillion other folks have worried about the same thing, so, no - you are not being overly obsessive. [​IMG]

I have water outside and inside, all the time, but I have a garage-sized coop. Food is only in the coop; I want them coming only
    to two places to get food from me, in the coop for feed, and one specific spot outside for treats.

3. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Presently I have food and water in the coop and outside in the run. The run is locked up after the girls come in. Over the summer, they would mostly stay out in the run overnight, but now that are nights are getting colder, they go directly into the coop. I will start keeping the food and water in the coop only, once winter arrives. I'll be wrapping the run with clear plastic as an added barrier to keep wind and snow out of the run so they can still use the run this winter. The coop is inside a barn so I will be able to access it more easily once the heavy snows arrive.

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We do feed inside, water outside.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    We have feed inside - with treats tossed in one area of the yard about mid-afternoon - and water for both inside and outside. Since I have a bunch of new gals in my flock (25 new spring 2011 chicks) and they got used to our nice weather and stayed outside most of the time, I started closing off the coop by about 3pm and opened it back up at 6pm so they'd be good and hungry and would run right in for me to close them up. I don't always get out at a consistent time to open things back up, so the waters inside to keep them from becoming possibly dehydrated. Also, during the winter months, if you have a water source inside, there might be a less likely chance for it to freeze and/or the girls may not want to go outside due to inclement weather.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 Ditto and they way to go, water inside tends to be a messy affair, while keeping feed inside preserves it's freshness and protects it from the elements.

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now we feed and water inside, with an auto feeder (vermin proof) outside. But the auto feeder doesn't always work right. I'm planning to add outside water but will probably keep water inside at least in the winter (to use with a heater) and in the summer (since there are days the chickens aren't let out until 8 am or 8:30 sometimes).

8. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Our feed and water are out in the run, since the girls are only inside to lay or sleep. Our run is totally enclosed and roofed, so the food is protected from the elements (it's not hard to put some sort of cover over any feeding station). If you're concerned about vermin you could move the feeder inside at night (into your garage, or some other rodent-free storage). Last year I did have mice in my run so I started taking the feeders out at night and putting them back in the morning. It's an extra bit of work but the only way to completely be sure no freeloaders are enjoying midnight snacks.

9. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Food inside, and waterers outside.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have their pellets inside along with an automatic waterer in their "Florida Room" (three wire walls and a wire floor). Also a homemade automatic waterer in the run and where treats are served every evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by