Feed

6reds

Hatching
Aug 22, 2016
My rir's don't seem to like the pellet feed. I have 6 girlie and a roo,was suppose to be all pellets. They're 5 months old. I started feeding them layer feed because someone told me that they won't start laying unless you do. I thought that odd. But, one of them started laying. I'm pretty sure which one because she's the only one that will accept him(if you know what I mean.) Is this true?

Welcome to BYC! Whoever told you that hens won't lay if they aren't fed layer feed is mistaken. A few years back, I switched from layer over to an all-flock feed once we added in our ducks. The layer I fed most was in crumble form, (I fed layer pellets occasionally as well, they did fine with it) and the all-flock is only in pellet form. I've been feeding all-flock for around three years now and my birds have done great with it. If you have a flock of only laying hens, layer feed is probably your best option to offer them. It's specifically formulated for layers and has all the proper nutrients they require. Some say that if you have roos, you should feed an all-flock typed feed as well, but my roos had always been happy with layer before I switched over to the all-flock.

When I found out that roos aren't supposed to eat layer feed I switched to all flock but they don't seem to eat as much of it as they did the starter or layer feed crumbles. Is it ok for roos to eat layer crumbles or will they get use to the all flock.

My rir's don't seem to like the pellet feed. I have 6 girlie and a roo,was suppose to be all pellets. They're 5 months old. I started feeding them layer feed because someone told me that they won't start laying unless you do. I thought that odd. But, one of them started laying. I'm pretty sure which one because she's the only one that will accept him(if you know what I mean.) Is this true?
I introduced my hens to pellets a couple of days before putting it in the feeder by tossing them on the ground instead of scratch, they looked at it for a couple of seconds and gobbled it up. I also mixed it 50/50 with crumbles for a couple of weeks before switching to all pellets. If you have leftover crumbles mix it 50/50 with scratch to finish it off or just toss the crumbles on the ground for a treat. It is not true the hens will not lay without layers feed. But they would need crushed oyster shell or crushed limestone, for strong egg shells, Once they start to lay. GC

When I found out that roos aren't supposed to eat layer feed I switched to all flock but they don't seem to eat as much of it as they did the starter or layer feed crumbles. Is it ok for roos to eat layer crumbles or will they get use to the all flock.
The big feed companies say it's Ok to feed layers feed to cockerels/roos over 18 weeks and if I had a roo he would get layers feed. GC

Back
Top Bottom