Feed

Ok thank you all and she just isn't that big I know she's a silkie I just wasn't sure how fast they grow because the boy was tiny almost like a runt and he has outgrown her. These new chicks have are also about to be the same height as her. Is it normal also for her to chase them and fluff up (not 24/7 just occasionally). She just has seemed small is why I wasn't sure

IDK, our silkie girls are fairly small.

Yes, it would be completely normal for her to try and kill them even! They have to set the pecking order. Many folks put them in a look but don't touch type situation for several days to weeks to lessen the havoc that starts when combing new chickens. The fact that they are the same size makes integration easier. If it's just a peck and they run away, no big deal. If the bully(lets just say) continues pursuing and is relentless then it has to be stopped.

If you are real concerned for your silkie.... you could weigh her and see how close she is to the standard. However some lines will be smaller than others, some will lay sooner, some will be broodier... so just remember to allow for those different possibilities and not stress too much as long as you're sure she isn't being kept away from the feed by other chickens constantly and you are providing a nutritionally complete feed. Some competition is normal and they will usually just run around and eat at another location. If they have been broody for a long time... they will be a little under weight and should recover once they return to normal. I guess that's probably one reason people want to wait until they hit one year before allowing it so their bodies have the nutrients available to complete their maturing process. Oh, and the boys of the same breed should be larger than the hens. I know some birds the females are bigger, but not chickens.
smile.png

Ok thank you and the chicks have been in there for a month or so there just catching up in size to her and know she's starting to get hostile so I wasn't sure if that was ok or not.

My chickens eat all the feed I give them in 5 minutes? Anyone know the best food for the best eggs?
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The best food is a well balanced diet.
old.gif
Brand doesn't matter, nutrients do.
smile.png

Some people say that fermented feed or raw acv in their water really clarifies the flavor of the meat and eggs.

Enjoy all the stuff you will learn on hear, it is an unending array of helpful information!
highfive.gif

I say better safe than sorry. I'm using starter till they get mixed in to the coop, then all flock till they start laying.

A good all-flock diet works for chickens of all ages, and oyster shell in a separate dish will give laying hens what they need in additional calcium. The OP asked about all-flock feed, not layer feed. I feed Flock Raiser, with oyster shell out there also, to all my birds, and have done so for a long time. They free range most days too. Mary

Back
Top Bottom