Feed!

Thank you for that analysis! So considering the info you provided and comparing that then to the Purina Flock Raiser, it looks like the Flock Raiser is still going to be better then those other 2 options. Cal Ranch only carries the crumble version. The pellet version at Tractor Supply is $27.99!!

For laying hens, however, I assume I should supplement calcium -- would having a separate container of oyster shell take care of that?

We have hard, dry, desert dirt - no pastures. I was considering growing fodder but thought I'd wait a bit and first get used to the routine of caring for the hens w/out overwhelming myself. The fodder would have to be grown outdoors (perhaps on porch) and we are coming into our summer -- temps already over 100F -- so not ideal for growing fodder.
Yes, oyster shell in a seperate dish, and you can do much worse than Purina's Flock Raiser. As off the shelf, middle price feeds go, its rather good nutrition.

I prefer crumble, but if you are having problems with waste, pour on the cold water and mix together into a thin oatmeal-like consistency, then wait a few minutes for the crumble to absorb the water. Your birds will think its a treat, clumping together because its wet will reduce spills (and help them find it when they do), while the cool water helps with heat management. Its why I started adding 64 degree well water to my bird's feed when heat hits the 90s...

Good luck on that fodder. I'm blessed with a very forgiving climate, and the soils are (slowly, oh so slowly) improving. The extension office says I should spread lime - almost a half ton per acre - to start fixing my soil.

I purchase at TSC 50lb bag of chicken feed which in price has gone up tremendously. Looking for ideas on how to save some money !
Some obvious ways to save money on chicken feed:
--make sure they do not waste it
--make sure there are no mice or rats eating it during the night
--if you are buying organic chicken food or any other special kind that costs extra money, consider switching to a cheaper one.
--consider whether you could be happy with fewer chickens

Offering the chickens other things to eat can help too: table scraps, vegetable/fruit trimmings, garden weeds, etc. If you offer very much of this kind of stuff, the chickens will not eat it all. But they will pick and choose the parts they like best, and will generally avoid parts that can be harmful. I would not buy other things to feed to chickens, just give them the parts I don't want and would otherwise discard.

If you are buying expensive chicken treats like mealworms, of course you can save money by skipping those.

Yes, oyster shell in a seperate dish, and you can do much worse than Purina's Flock Raiser. As off the shelf, middle price feeds go, its rather good nutrition.

I prefer crumble, but if you are having problems with waste, pour on the cold water and mix together into a thin oatmeal-like consistency, then wait a few minutes for the crumble to absorb the water. Your birds will think its a treat, clumping together because its wet will reduce spills (and help them find it when they do), while the cool water helps with heat management. Its why I started adding 64 degree well water to my bird's feed when heat hits the 90s...

Good luck on that fodder. I'm blessed with a very forgiving climate, and the soils are (slowly, oh so slowly) improving. The extension office says I should spread lime - almost a half ton per acre - to start fixing my soil.
Chicken poo is awesome for soil 😁

My advice is to just be glad you aren't buying hay right now!
Yeah. Hubby complains because he can't get his shower cool enough all summer long.
We have hot springs nearby too but I assume that isn't as deep as our well.
Here on city water we call the cold spigot the "hot water" in the summer as it often comes out 100+ degrees :) At first anyway.

A lot of neat tips in this thread. One I haven't heard yet is to choose breeds known to be good foragers.

My other tip is to look at the hay prices, and suddenly feel lucky! Hay is up $7+ a bale for me. Ouch!

I buy 50 lb bags of Kalmbach 20% Flock Raiser for about $23. Yes, it has gone up; I think it was about $19 last winter. It's a small, family owned business, and I'm happy to shop there. I can make it "on my way" so I'm not making a special trip. With gas prices what they are, I don't go anywhere for just one thing unless it's an emergency.

I "supplement" my chickens' food with buckets of weeds from the garden and kitchen scraps. They enjoy scratching through the weeds, so it's as much for their entertainment as for the food value. In another month, I'll be feeding them all the Japanese Beetles I can catch. There's some free protein!
Those the pretty green ones? Do you have so many? How does your garden compete with them? I know a lot of questions 😊

Whoah. You have goats or something? I live in an area with gobs of hay fields.. but I of course need straw. 6 bucks for a square bale of straw..sorry your hay has gone up so much.
My advice is to just be glad you aren't buying hay right now!

Here on city water we call the cold spigot the "hot water" in the summer as it often comes out 100+ degrees :) At first anyway.

A lot of neat tips in this thread. One I haven't heard yet is to choose breeds known to be good foragers.

My other tip is to look at the hay prices, and suddenly feel lucky! Hay is up $7+ a bale for me. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom