Feed

chicklove93

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 17, 2011
NEPA
How many times a day should I feed my baby chicks?. and when would be a good time? mornings or evenings or both. thanks
smile.png

I tend to do free choice when they're tiny, and shift to twice a day like the adults when they go out into the coop. That's the basic idea at least. When very little they need to eat fairly frequently.

I too just keep the feeder full!! When I see the feeder getting empty towards the end of the day, it's my cue that I need to add another feeder!! I think it's important to let them eat as much as they need to...they are growing quickly!!

Im not sure about this subject so I too have a few questions.
big_smile.png

My pullets are now 9 weeks old & I have feed in the coop 24/7 (except bedtime, the door gets closed)
I also have a 12month old Silkie roo....so funny...so cute....ahem...sorry. Ive mixed the roo's feed with the pullet growth feed, also added abit of vitamins, extra wheat & grit.
I added the grit because they keep taking dirt baths in the grit when I put it in the tray....so cute.

One question is, my pullets, when 3 day old chicks as well, always have done a runny, caramel coloured poop. I have a feeling its the feed??? They have wholemeal bread, & grass as well. So, the poop is still runny & caramel coloured from all three of them.
The rooster has the normal, white/greeny solid poop. Maybe he doesnt eat the pullet feed??

The 3 hens appear to be relentless eating machines. They are constantly pecking, eating, wanting grass etc. I swear they grow bigger daily!!!

Another Question...when do the pullets stop the baby peeping, & start the adult bucking???

They arent scared of the rooster. They even peck him sometimes lol. He does this 'statue' thing, where he stands still as a statue when the girls are next to him feeding (like when Im giving them something through the wire fence). It's hilarious, cos I can give him a scratch & even push him over LOL
lol.png
lol.png
lau.gif

Then when he's a 'statue' they peck him in the face, & even the eye & he doesnt do anything!!! It's so funny, but Im a little afraid they might hurt him??? Although when I put him into the coop in the morning with the girls, he chases them a little....by kind of side swiping them. They hide for a couple of minutes then come out, unafraid. I love watching their funny behavour. So darn cute & funny. The roo is such a fluff bomb...its hard to give him any respect LOL
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom