Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicklove93, Nov 10, 2011.

1. chicklove93

chicklove93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    NEPA
    How many times a day should I feed my baby chicks?. and when would be a good time? mornings or evenings or both. thanks [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I give my chicks free choice. [​IMG]

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I tend to do free choice when they're tiny, and shift to twice a day like the adults when they go out into the coop. That's the basic idea at least. When very little they need to eat fairly frequently.

4. chicklove93

chicklove93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    NEPA
    What's free choice? unlimited access to it?

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    they can eat as much as there little hearts desire. [​IMG]

6. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I too just keep the feeder full!! When I see the feeder getting empty towards the end of the day, it's my cue that I need to add another feeder!! I think it's important to let them eat as much as they need to...they are growing quickly!!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I keep my chick feeders full too and let them eat all they want. They are growing fast.

8. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Noting the absence of meat birds in your signature, I'd say you can leave feed out for them around the clock. They'll eat as they need to.

9. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Im not sure about this subject so I too have a few questions. [​IMG]
    My pullets are now 9 weeks old & I have feed in the coop 24/7 (except bedtime, the door gets closed)
    I also have a 12month old Silkie roo....so funny...so cute....ahem...sorry. Ive mixed the roo's feed with the pullet growth feed, also added abit of vitamins, extra wheat & grit.
    I added the grit because they keep taking dirt baths in the grit when I put it in the tray....so cute.

One question is, my pullets, when 3 day old chicks as well, always have done a runny, caramel coloured poop. I have a feeling its the feed??? They have wholemeal bread, & grass as well. So, the poop is still runny & caramel coloured from all three of them.
    The rooster has the normal, white/greeny solid poop. Maybe he doesnt eat the pullet feed??

The 3 hens appear to be relentless eating machines. They are constantly pecking, eating, wanting grass etc. I swear they grow bigger daily!!!

Another Question...when do the pullets stop the baby peeping, & start the adult bucking???

They arent scared of the rooster. They even peck him sometimes lol. He does this 'statue' thing, where he stands still as a statue when the girls are next to him feeding (like when Im giving them something through the wire fence). It's hilarious, cos I can give him a scratch & even push him over LOL [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Then when he's a 'statue' they peck him in the face, & even the eye & he doesnt do anything!!! It's so funny, but Im a little afraid they might hurt him??? Although when I put him into the coop in the morning with the girls, he chases them a little....by kind of side swiping them. They hide for a couple of minutes then come out, unafraid. I love watching their funny behavour. So darn cute & funny. The roo is such a fluff bomb...its hard to give him any respect LOL [​IMG]

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Definitely, unlimited access to food and fresh water [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by