Feed

If I had to choose between these two choices, I would go with the chicken scratch until I could get gamebird food. Layer feed has too much calcium for boys, and the scratch would be an extra special treat for the quail.
wink.png

Scratch won't kill anybody for a day or two til you get the gamebird food.

Edit to add: If you have any wild bird seed around like millet, hulled sunflower seeds, even parrot food, millet sprays or the like, you can mix it in with the scratch to offer them a variety of seeds with more protein.

Last edited:
Sure. I've had to do this on occasion between feed runs, and never had any problems. I've done it with layer, but I always choose whatever's highest in protein--so if I've got chick starter on hand, I use that. It doesn't happen often, but every few months I'll have a day or two and it never seems to bother them much.

As much room as you can afford. If you are raising Coturnix, generally they need at least one square foot per bird. For the new world birds such as Bobwhites or Gambels and such, they need about 4 square feet per bird.

But, if you can give them twice or more of what is recommended for any of these species, the birds will be happier and healthier. Quail turn cannibalistic when crowded in too closely and the stress turns into fighting and injuries.

Make sure to keep the ratio of male to females proper, depending on what species you are raising.

It just occurred to me that I didn't ask you--what age quail are we talking about? Baby quail will have a harder time going without proper feed for even a day. They really need a high protein game bird or turkey starter feed. Adult quail can be more flexible. In a pinch, they'll survive on something else, but try to keep protein levels up. Do you have cat food? That may help keep protein up.

When you ask how much space they need, again it depends whether we're talking adults or babies. It will be helpful to know a little more about your situation. But in general, adult birds need a MINIMUM of 1 sq ft per bird. More is better.

Back
Top Bottom