Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buff Hooligans, Nov 5, 2007.

1. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I didn't read every page of the post so I don't know if anyone mentioned blackberries. VERY expensive treat, but nice if you have an out-of-control blackberry bush like I do.

2. hypnochyck

hypnochyck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Benicia, CA
    Cabbage??? One list says it's great, another lists it as toxic. Who knows for sure?

3. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Stawberries will make hens stop laying but blackberries don't.
    No on the cabbage I think.

4. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    i hope cabbage is not toxic. i put a whole head in there to keep them entertained when the hens had started picking one of their flock raw. it did get them to lay off the pecked hen, and they eat the whole head in about a day or two. i read about this here on backyard chickens.

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Strawberries make hens stop laying? [​IMG] Never knew that. Guess I won't let my hens know either. They have had strawberries periodically for the past two weeks now. They are still laying consistently. I will say that bananas are my girls absolute favorite. What about nuts? Like walnuts, hazelnuts, etc? I do not recall seeing those on either list. But I could just be blind. AWESOME list though, and beautiful pictures! Thanks soo much for putting this together!!!!

6. new zealander

new zealander New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    On the list of treats/foods it says grapes-seedless. What is wrong with seeded grapes?

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Our chickens always get to the blackberries before I do!

8. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    What about safflower seed? My girls go crazy for it...they try to steel it from my bird feeders. Is it okay for them???

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The "Canadian Poultry Consultants" (BC veterinarians) say"safflower meal, sunflower meal up to 10%" of the chicken's rations. They are talking about seed that has been pressed for oil. Safflower is very high in oil (nearly 40%) and is high-calorie as a whole seed.

Cabbage and all brassicas (cabbage family) can produce goiters. It looks to me that this happens to animals when they are fed brassicas as a large part of their diets. Most of these species are used as livestock forage but I'm sure that it is wise to offer a variety of other foods.

Steve

edited to correct grammar

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. motherspet

motherspet New Egg

Mar 28, 2009
    I am a brand new member but knew about this site for a while. I have learned so much from it. I only got 3 hens at Christmas (light sussex) from a neighbour and knew absolutely nothing about keeping chickens. 2 weeks ago I added a bown isa and she laid her first egg today. I am soooo exited. So thank you for all the infos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by