Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
When I have yellow squash and Zucchini from the garden I shred it. They love it small enough to gobble up.

This list is wonderful and as my elderly daddy tells me. Everything in moderation.
thumbsup.gif

Okay.. I just read this whole thread.. LOVE the info..

My question is.. Alfalfa! What is your take on Alfalfa?

I bought a bale and use it in the coop over the shavings to reduce some of the dust.. the girls love it.. they pick at it for days.. all that is left is stems, which compost well. My feeling is, when they can't free range, it's a great source of green/protein.

I've been feeding it to all of them regularly now.

I also give them alfalfa sprouts mixed in the cooked rice with Fresh Garlic and Yogurt once in a while.

Thank you for all the work involved in the chart.. great work!

Two quick comments after reading the treats chart:

Banana peels have a nice layer on the inside that the chickens will peck off, high in potassium. They do not eat the outer skin, and these can be picked up and disposed of at a later time if the deer don't eat them first. Next time you eat a banana really look at the peel and you can see the edible layer, the riper the banana the softer this layer is.

My #1 chicken treat is not on the chart! It is Okara, this is the highly nutritious soft meal that remains from soybeans after making soymilk. It is high in protein and calcium and has a taste that chickens go bonkers over. I know it isn't common here in the USA, but it is a serious contender for best chicken treat.

2 questions...first what about mushroom stems - I always have then left over from cooking - can they be chopped up and used as a treat? and aomewhere on the forum I read a comment that said that coffee grounds (used) were a good natural wormer - is this true and do you just put them in the pen for them to munch? Any answers appreciated.

Interesting. My chickens avoided banana peels so I assumed it was bad for them. As an aside, the inner part of the peel has a substance that will cause humans to hallucinate if smoked (maybe ingested also? I don't know).

Are the dietary dos and don'ts here the same as for coturnix?

Okara is so good for people that it never crossed my mind to feed it to the birds!!! That's a great idea. Where's that soy milk machine of mine...

Quote:
My guess is that it's fine, as long as they don't gorge on it and hardpack their crops. Alfalfa and alfalfa sprouts are so nutritious.

Back
Top Bottom