Feeder and waterer

AllisonK

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
We will hopefully be getting chickens next week if we can get the coop finished this weekend. So I realized I should prob think about feeding them. Can anyone link me some good directions to make a feeder and a waterer? They need to be smallish/compact to take up less space in the coop. We would like 8 chickens so big enough for that many. Would it be a bad idea to build a small box off the coop (similar to a nest box) that I could put the feeder/waterer in? I like this idea but then only a few chickens could get food/water at one time. Other ideas would be really appreciated. Or if I end up buying something (there are 2 feed stores near me) what kinds are best and what should I avoid?

Thanks,
Allison

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks I saw those.
smile.png
If I made a smaller version (there is no way I have room for a 5 gal bucket in the coop) would the chickens knock it over?

I made a waterer from the large plastic jars that hold pretzels (from Sams) and a large flower pot tray. I hang it on the wall so it doesn't get dirt in the tray. I will wrap with heat tape this winter and see if it will stay thawed. There is a link on here somewhere that tells how to make one of these. There is also a thread going right now about feed containers in which I describe a wall-hugging PVC feeder that supplies my 10 birds for 4-5 days without needing refilled and takes up little, to no, space. I have dial-up or I would post a pic. Sorry!

Eight chickens is perfect for a 4' trough feeder.
Get a 1" x 4" board, 4 feet long.
Then use 3 brackets to mount that board to the wall. Now you have a shelf..
big_smile.png

Then just use a couple of hooks (screwed into the wall) to keep the feeder on the shelf and against the wall.
Easy, simple, works great.

Keeping all your equipment off the floor and on the walls of the coop will save space and make coop cleaning much easier.

Good luck,
spot

buy hanging water and feeder if available in your area, for 8 a 1gal waterer at least, and a 3 pound feeder, feed will last about 2 days. you have to be sure all the chickens can get all the way around them , they're not bright and will want to all eat and drink at the same time
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom