Feeder Dilemma

I made PVC feeders like the ones mentioned above. I can easily disassemble them for cleaning and as the previous post above calls out the 3in are about perfect. Depending on how muc feed you want you can customize the height as to store more of less feed. I love them and the chickens do a good job of not making a mess. While it was not brought up as a concern, these were low cost to make yourself as well.

Here are the gravity feeders in my coop with the big girls. (Orpingtons and Americaunas) I got the inspiration years ago from this community but I can't recall who it was to give credit. I believe there are multiple entries with similar designs.
View attachment 2606906
The tubes are 24 inches - which does come precut at Home Depot for ease. These are the 3 inch diameter pipes and fittings.
View attachment 2606907
While it is MUCH LESS waste than other feeders I had tried they can still scoop it out and sling it...I don't know if that is just my bratty birds. 🤷‍♀️
View attachment 2606908
The middle one I elevated on an inverted flower pot in case anyone preferred dining at that height. Of course they do not care. Everyone uses them all equally. 😆
If you put duct tape across the lower 1/4 of the opening it stops the 'slinging'. Just put a bit of tape on the inside part so feed doesn't stick to it
I did this 2 years ago and also posted on here. It's in MY COOP thread.
Also, to stop feed from going too far down into it I put an upside down yogurt cup in the bottom of the Y. When the PVC gets almost empty I pull it out and empty the dust.

I now have new chicks so I maybe doing something different this year as I didn't like the dust pileup. I'm thinking more of a Bend then the Y.
I'm also thinking of making a bucket with a shoot to a plastic Gutter part. Gutter in the coop but the Big bucket on the other side.... I have a shed so mine will go in the 'person's part 😂 But you could put it outside and have the PVC tube shoot go through the wall.

Back
Top Bottom