Feeder for 5 hens

EastCoastChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Nova Scotia
Ok time pick out a feeder!
My plan for our soon to arrive 5 hens is to have water obviously 24hrs but pull their feed out at night after they are in the coop for the night and then put it back out in the morning when I open the coop! My idea behind this is because we have a lot of critters day and night, just to list , Fox, Racoons, Mink, Weasels, Squirrels, Deer, Hawks, Bald Eagles all the time. Does anybody else do this for their birds? Also I was looking at those mason jar style feeder bases, but not certain that would be enough for 5 hens. They look pretty small even with a larger mason jar on them? Not a clue how much feed 5 hens will eat but thought I'd get some ideas from you folks! Thanks so much!

I hang a 12 to 15 lb galvanized feeder in each coop. 20190430_090843.jpg . If you get a tie out chain for dogs with a clip, it will be easy to remove and attach. GC

Yes I take out my feed at night and store it in a metal trash can to discourage pests.

What's the volume on the feeder you're looking at? Something like a 7 lb feeder should last 4-5 days for a flock of 5.
Thanks! That exactly what I was planning to do. We will have 5 hens. I looked at those bases that you put a mason jar on upside down. Thought they were nice and simple and I could put a larger mason jar on it but wasn't sure exactly how much 5 hens would eat. I'm not opposed to a hanging feeder either. Just looking at my options :)

Back
Top Bottom