feeder frustration. We need better feeders.

Have you seen the feeders made from PVC pipes? There are many threads and pictures around BYC. What if you used galvanized pipe? You could maybe hook up some sort of open/closed valve down near the bottom - and if the end where the actual feeder is was threaded, you could close the valve, unscrew the feeder, dump any unused feed back into the top and be ready to open it up the next morning. If you also connected your pipe to a larger galvanized trash can, you would have a large volume - rodent proof - (almost) automatic feeder.

Just an idea
idunno.gif

That is a good idea. I am working on designing a pvc feeder that has a close-able feeding trough. Probably either a flip top that covers an open feeding trough, or a slider that covers up feeding holes. I am leaning towards a slider because it would be easier to rig it up so that it could be closed from outside the run...I'll post back if I ever have the time to make it!

You certainly have your share of problems.

1/2" hardware cloth keeps out rats. 1/4" hardware cloth keeps out mice.

I keep the food in the coop, to deter scavengers. I have a pop door that's elevated, because I designed it for deep litter. I think this helps deter rodents during the day, since they're totally exposed if they want to run up that long ramp. They can't just run along the wall and pop inside, as is their usual preference. I have my run door open during the day, to free range.

It's been a long time since I lived in Texas and I'm thankful fire ants weren't a problem back then. The only problem I have with ants are the nectar feeders for the wild birds. I use ant cups for those. They are little water filled cups that go between the hanging hook and the feeder. I think ants could still be attracted to any food that's spilled as chickens eat. There's always a small bit of spilled feed, with any feeder. Maybe you need a little island and a moat for your feed. The chickens can do a flying hop to get over!
big_smile.png

When I had my feeder in the run, I would take it in with me at night so as to not attract pests. I have a larger coop now and the feeder stays inside. My feeder is hung from underneath a table and I fashioned a top out of an old coffee lid = they can't roost on it and moisture can't get in.

As far as mice, my girls would welcome them as a snack. I sometimes think that municipalities don't understand that chickens are omnivores and would probably consume as many mice as they would inadvertently attract. Have never seen a rat in these parts, probably too many predators as I'm in the woods.

Last edited:
If anyone has trouble with ants going the long route, going up to the hang site and then down the chain/rope, try rubbing either a bit of petroleum jelly or Vicks vapo rub (USA thing) on the chain/rope, it will stop ants in their tracks. The Vicks also has essential oils in it that will deter ants. Haven't had this issue I our coop yet but it works for our hummingbird feeder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom