feeder frustration. We need better feeders.

We used pvc primer/cleaner and pvc cement. Which I guess is the norm, but it smells. I've left it to sit for a few days and rinsed it ALOT. Hopefully it's good to go.

. The only problem I have with ants are the nectar feeders for the wild birds. I use ant cups for those. They are little water filled cups that go between the hanging hook and the feeder.

In lieu of the ant cups I have used a dab of Vick's Vaporub on the hang wire of the hummingbird feeders. The petroleum jelly stops them dead in their tracks plus the essential oils in it deters them. Probably plain petroleum jelly would work. I had the same dab on the wire for over a year before we moved and I cleaned it off!

I have at least two mabe three resident rat snakes that seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the rodent population in check. They scare the crap out of me everytime I see them which isn't very often and a few years back one found how to get in the nest box and got him an egg ever couple weeks or so. He did that for a few months until the time he ate the wooden nest egg and couldn't get back out the tiny little hole he came in through. He died the next day in the nest box and I threw him out in the woods, went and found him a few weeks later and got my wooden nest egg back.

Really and truly I don't know which is worse the rodents or the snakes. Mice and rats are just gross and icky destructive little ********. Snakes have a place in our ego system and do their job well but scare the crap out of me every time, at least I think the cooperheads have moved on because I haven't seen one of them in many years--they will kill you if they bite you which wouldn't be any fun.

I kind of live on the edge of developed civilazation to the east with many acres of lightly populated woods going west behind, I wish more of it was mine. I think all the creatures from the east have moved west and live right around here in the border areas. I try to live with them the best I can but sometimes they just have to go. All those cute little chipmunks are the most destructive little creatures you will ever encounter. I have a rock front porch and they have nearly destroyed it by digging tunels underneath causing the rocks and mortar to crack and crumble then fall into their tunnels. I've tried everything to get rid of them and have sent hundreds back to the earth in the last 15 years but they always come back, from where I will never know.

Last edited:
I have at least two mabe three resident rat snakes that seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the rodent population in check. They scare the crap out of me everytime I see them which isn't very often and a few years back one found how to get in the nest box and got him an egg ever couple weeks or so. He did that for a few months until the time he ate the wooden nest egg and couldn't get back out the tiny little hole he came in through. He died the next day in the nest box and I threw him out in the woods, went and found him a few weeks later and got my wooden nest egg back.

Really and truly I don't know which is worse the rodents or the snakes. Mice and rats are just gross and icky destructive little ********. Snakes have a place in our ego system and do their job well but scare the crap out of me every time, at least I think the cooperheads have moved on because I haven't seen one of them in many years--they will kill you if they bite you which wouldn't be any fun.

I kind of live on the edge of developed civilazation to the east with many acres of lightly populated woods going west behind, I wish more of it was mine. I think all the creatures from the east have moved west and live right around here in the border areas. I try to live with them the best I can but sometimes they just have to go. All those cute little chipmunks are the most destructive little creatures you will ever encounter. I have a rock front porch and they have nearly destroyed it by digging tunels underneath causing the rocks and mortar to crack and crumble then fall into their tunnels. I've tried everything to get rid of them and have sent hundreds back to the earth in the last 15 years but they always come back, from where I will never know.
Do you have fire ants too. Do you think a hanging feeder with a flip down lid would benefit you too. They just don't make them. Someone emailed me a metal feeder that could be hung on a wall with a flap that could cover the opening at night. I don't think it would work either because ants climb walls, and the metal edges looked too sharp and likely to injure beaks.

Last edited:
I have seen a few have proposed a PVC feeder. To make it closeable you could use a feeder tray that fits inside another pipe. Have matching holes in both the inner and outer pipes, to close just rotate to offset and block the holes. Sort of like a salt shaker. That way you can make the main tube as big as you like, grease the mounts for the ants and you don't have to move it or waste any feed when you close it up of a night time.

Something like this one below, but with a second pipe so it can be turned and closed off.

Do you have fire ants too. Do you think a hanging feeder with a flip down lid would benefit you too. They just don't make them. Someone emailed me a metal feeder that could be hung on a wall with a flap that could cover the opening at night. I don't think it would work either because ants climb walls, and the metal edges looked too sharp and likely to injure beaks.
Yes, there are fire ants everywhere around here and I am terrible allergic to them. One or two bites and I swell up like a balloon and have experienced shortness of breath and hives on more than one occassion.

There is only one way to deal with them and that is to use plenty of any quality fire ant killer. I like Amdro the best but it is expensive and I have used a little of everything along the years. If you see a mound poison it immediately, there are several products that you can broadcast arround the yard that seem to work rather well. You've got to kill them before they move in to places like your chicken coop or garden.

Earlier this year just as the ants were starting to move and build new homes, some got in my barn and started nesting in the bottom of my brooder under the pine shavings. I had just put 25 new chicks in the brooder but didn't see the ants till about day 3 when I had one dead bird for some unknown reason. The next day I had another dead chick and it had ants crawling on and in it so the gig was up--I had ants in the brooder. Everybody came out immediately and the brooder was dragged outside dumped out and hosed down. The emergency Amdro came off the shelf and was broadcasted all in around and over the barn. The next day all the ants were gone and I was able to refill the brooder, warm it up and put the baby chicks back in their temporary home. Luckily I only lost 3 chicks from this episode but I learned to check it and go ahead and spread a little Amdro next year in the early spring when the ants are moving. The little creatures were all over the dead birds and really took advantage of their weekness once they had one down. I hate those things!!!!!

Hi there...
New to the forum & thought you might like a look at the feeder we made up... Got the idea from a fellow Aussie..
There is a part 2 clip that covers the 1 issue we were having with it & it now works like a dream.. Smaller ones can be made to hang from the roof of the pen as well..
Hope that helps someone out there...
Off to finish looking for info on Gapeworm...
Cheers..

Hi there...
New to the forum & thought you might like a look at the feeder we made up... Got the idea from a fellow Aussie..
There is a part 2 clip that covers the 1 issue we were having with it & it now works like a dream.. Smaller ones can be made to hang from the roof of the pen as well..
Hope that helps someone out there...
Off to finish looking for info on Gapeworm...
Cheers..

Very cool Rob, and welcome to the forum!

How did you get on with the water drinker you spoke of?

Thanks for the welcome Ben's Hens :)
I ended up making a basic nipple feeder..

The drum was just a stopgap measure until I could sort out a more permanent water storage tank.. I made it so the "nipple bar" could be taken off & used in the new build when I get around to it.. Had problems with one of the nipples leaking & the drum draining over a 36 hour period which was no big drama as it was as easy as unscrewing it & adding a new one..

Back
Top Bottom