Feeder in nesting box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Lazy L, Jan 5, 2012.

1. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Coop will be 4' x 6' with 2' x 6' of the floor space committed to roosting space. That leaves only 2' x 6' for open floor space and by the time I add a hanging waterer and a feeder space will be limited.

[​IMG]

I'm also figuring I'll have too many nesting boxes (6) for the nine peeps that are arriving this May.

[​IMG]

So would it be practical to build a feeding box like KDK1 Post #5 in the nesting box closest to the chicken door? Figuring I could make it height adjustable and refillable from the outside?

[​IMG]

As a Newbie asking the forum wise, will this work?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    It could do. You'd have to make sure no water seeps in around the feeder, if you're having it taller than the nestbox lid.

I've put my feeder in one of the nestboxes too... they don't like eating in the dark though lol

3. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Quote:It would not be taller then the nest box lid.

And the the bottom of the feeder would be chicken accessible from outside of the nest box.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Then I see no reason why it shouldn't work [​IMG]

5. marxmail

marxmail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Sparks, Maryland
    Just wondering if your idea worked? I actually had the same thought yesterday... 6 nesting boxes and 7 chicks... way to much wasted coop space.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by