Feeder on a budget

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fuzzy Clucker, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Fuzzy Clucker

Fuzzy Clucker New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Fallbrook
    I created this the other day since we had 2 of them. It'll hold us over till we get a real one...I think it's better than wasting feed by feeding them on the ground and seeing all the dust and powder they missed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Nice looking chickens!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Improvising huh??? Great job!! [​IMG]

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I use clay pot bottoms[what the pot sits in to catch water, I forget it's name], also use plastic trays I found. I've also used old drawers and ice cube trays. ^.^

The metal feeder I bought, 20lbs I think, I don't use it anymore. Makes too much of a mess even if it's in a drawer to keep it in..lol.
    It's for sale if anyone near me wants it...

5. Fuzzy Clucker

Fuzzy Clucker New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Fallbrook
    hhhmmm...seems we can't multi quote on this forum? I got this hanging feeder idea from going to the feed store and getting a few ideas from their setups. I figured by having it hang and not being directly on the ground would help to keep other little ground pests from getting to it. (even though they would probably just eat the pests too, haha)

At first they were a little skiddish of how it swings around a bit since they were used to eating off the ground, (except for Elly, she's smart...the Rhode Island Red) but after the 2nd day I noticed they were used to it and everything inside of it was gone. I filled it up for them about an hour before dark yesterday and they emptied it in about 15 min. It definitely seems they're getting fed better now compared to tossing the crumb/dust onto the ground.

My wife was using a plate but they seemed to just make a mess on the ground and miss the dust. But I am new at this chicken stuff. Thanks for your replies everyone.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by