Feeder Pigs?

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
What is a feeder pig? Is that a pig you use for feeding other animals? Or is that what they call a baby pig? I am thinking about getting a few Yorkshires to rise and sell what is a good price to pay? Is a feeder pig a Yorkshire? sorry about all the questions!
barnie.gif

Feeder pigs are pigs that you raise for slaughter. Most people slaughter the pigs and keep the meat for themselves to eat. Alot of people like to raise thier own food because then they know how they ate, how they were kept etc.

**edit**
yes hampshire are good feeder pigs!! We have a livestock auction where I live every wednesday and the piglets are sold in groups by weight. Last time I bought them I paid 7 dollars a piece for the group which was 7 piglets..49 dollars total for 7 pigs, which is a good price but they also eat ALOT and if you want good meat the pigs have to eat good healthy food
smile.png
Good Luck

Last edited:
A feeder pig is a pig that has just recently been weened from the sow that you purchase with plans to grow to slaughter size.

Feeder pigs can be any type of pig.

I have three of them right now. They are a yorkshire crossbreed. We paid $45 a piece for them when we got them at around 50 lbs.

thank you for the info. i have 4 potbelly pigs right now, but i guess i am going to have to go to a auction to get some thank you for the info! does anyone know how to find livestock auctions?

Back
Top Bottom