Feeder Question

plapczynski

Songster
Feb 3, 2008
Chillicothe, OH
My 23 one week old are starting to spill a lot of food out of the 2 mason jar feeders. They are up on a 2x4, but from what I can tell it is from them trying to scratch in the feeder holes and dumping feed. Yesterday when we left for church I filled a jar, when we came back 2-3 hours later the jar was empty and food was all over the floor. It this typical?

Since then I have added one of the red plastic row feeders with about 28 holes. I took out one of the mason jar feeders. They seem to eat from the row feeder and not make as much of a mess. Any problems with removing the mason jar feeders and sticking with the row feeder?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

They do bill out alot. I have found the long feeder to be better for the chicks, too. As they get older and you switch over to pellets you will have less loss.

I agree. The long feeders work much better. You have to refill them more often, but it's not like your not checking on them regularly, so they won't run out completely. I have two in with 52 chicks, but will be going to three in the next week, or two. They are already eating more at a week old!

In addition to the long feeders, I like to put them up so the chicks have to reach. That way they eat rather than have fun picking out the best piece in the very bottom of the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom